Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Peugeot 307 with the 1.6 litre engine Died yesterday. A jack-hammer noise came from outside, the motor conked out, RACQ tilt tray took me home. Car has 177k on it - timing belt was replaced at 100k. I think I've done a timing belt. So, has this happened to anybody else? If so, do the pistons hit the valves? It's a lovely car, We'd love to keep it. We bought it second-hand with 18k on it. What price to repair worst case scenario? Should we just ring the wrecker to tow it away? I've quite a lot of experience with engine building of classic and 'not so classic' car engines, so feasible to re-build if that's the case. Although I'm thinking parts prices may shoot me down. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I presume its a petrol engine? if so a broken cambelt on this 16V engine means bent valves,lots of them.
Very difficult to price the job until its stripped down. For sure it will need a cylinder head overhaul (or a second hand head complete),cambelt pulley kit and waterpump,gaskets etc,and about 10 hours labour?,not a cheap job.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Cheapest option in uk is a replacement used head i sell lots of them as its quicker just to fit a good used head than replace at least 8 valves.

Basically this is assuming its a NFU or TU5JP4 engine if so it will not damage the pistons just the valves so until its stripped down you wont know how many it needs i have seen them only do 2 valves but they can do all 16 !!

They can also damage the cam pulleys at the same time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing belt

Thanks guys. Yeah, getting in prices now. One company won't give me warranty unless I get the radiator and water pump replaced as well. I can understand their thinking. But doesn't help me much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts