Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, being that im new here, my name is Iva, im 22 and i own this nice gray 407 that i love with all my heart. Now i got a problem with it, car is 2004 2.0 HDI.

What happened is, I turned the steering wheel full left and I accelerated from standstill to get out of gas station before the oncoming car was too close.

By no means did i floor it or anything like that, just gave it a bit of power to get going. Then i heard a loud knock and the car started... well imagine being in a boat going over small waves. So figuring something got broken i checked the wheels and figured its good to drive to my friends house to park it as its closer than my house.

There after her dad came out so we can figure if its CV (homokinetic) joint or maybe servo we tried again full left turn with bit of acc. when an even louder whack happened and car was blocked uphill, couldnt go forward, couldnt go reverse. Steering wheel was also blocked. After a bit of struggling i managed to get the steering wheel straight to straighten the wheels out and with a bit of acc on reverse again the knock was heard and the car was free to move.

Now scared s***less i limped back to their house and parked it there for the night.

In the morning mechanic came and we saw some oil next to the engine, its right side when you are looking at the engine, or should i say, next to cars left front wheel. Mechanic said it might be a "left joint at gearbox", now i searched some books and only other better name i could find was "gliding joint" or "sliding joint". We checked homokinetic joint and everything else we could get our hands on and it was all ok.

Any ideas what this could be, and does anyone know better name for it, or even better a part number? Its obviously something thats impacted by both steering and power transmission, but is not CV.

Anyone else had this happen on their car?

Regards,
Iva

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was driveshaft, would it be able to run at all. The car still goes kinda ok, but only if wheels are straight, if i make the full turn the same happens again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the track rod bent? ie the shaft coming out of the steering rack?
Im sorry, im not really sure what that is, but searching the google images and looking at this image below i would say that it is not bent, tho i am not 100% sure.

Also, what would you call that part circled in black and red. From what the guy told me, i figure he meant the thing in black? Would that breaking cause it to block both wheel and steering?

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By looking at the Peugeot's service box: Peugeot Service Box 3 32E21A&idFct=FCT0019

I figure it is the driveshaft thingy at number 1. But what do you call that part, and is it separate from driveshaft or?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allrighty, so turns out in fact it is the cylindrical thingy on left driveshaft.

Does anyone know name of it, and can it be bought separate or only with driveshaft?

Cheers

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a small update for future reference in case anyone ever happens to be in same situation. I got the left driveshaft replaced, as the joint on the right side of it (opposite of CV joint) was completely broken. Cost me 150EUR at the scrapyard.

One unfortunate result from this was that the broken driveshaft hit the gearbox cover and made a hole in it thru which the oil leaked out, had that fixed with liquid metal thingy, all is good now, now im a happy camper. :)

The end. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts