Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,I have a 307 sw 2006 1.6 hdi with 85k miles. It had deploution fault and engine light. I plugged it in and it came up with fault code p1351 and p0088.
The p1351 was permanent fault which I believe relates to the glow plugs.

I ran the parameters and seen that the dpf was 89% loaded therefore my guess was that it possibly cannot regenerate with glow plugs issue.
I decided Id best replace the glow plugs but was wary that they are a pig to get to and. In preparation I thought id strip it down to see if they would come out ok. Working from passenger side first one was fine,second one squeaky so stopped. Third one fine and 4th also squeaky so stopped.I wish I had googled it at that point but decided to very slowly turn 2nd one again.The result is the tip seems to be left in hole. (see pis of plug). What do I do now to fix this ? Should I try to re-tighten plug 4 and put back together ? I dont want to have two broken tips and make worse. Any advice very welcome as I dont know what to do now :(

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all, I soaked the 3 remaining plugs that are still in holes with WD40 yesterday and left overnight. I had a quick try to remove them but although they seemed to turn ok I cannot seem to release them from holes. I didnt want to force them in case another tip would break. Do you normally need to apply some pulling pressure to pull them out ? I gave up though as my confidence is shot :lol: and decided to retighten the 3 glowplugs. I dont want to make situation worse. Im still not sure what to do with the one with broken tip in the hole. I reckon it must be about 6mm of tip in hole. I filled hole with WD40 few times in hope it may loosen the tip. Should I leave it as it is without part screwing in another plug and hope the tip blows out under pressure ?
Has anyone had any similar experience of this and can possibly offer some advice on next steps ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi all, I soaked the 3 remaining plugs that are still in holes with WD40 yesterday and left overnight. I had a quick try to remove them but although they seemed to turn ok I cannot seem to release them from holes. I didnt want to force them in case another tip would break. Do you normally need to apply some pulling pressure to pull them out ? I gave up though as my confidence is shot :lol: and decided to retighten the 3 glowplugs. I dont want to make situation worse. Im still not sure what to do with the one with broken tip in the hole. I reckon it must be about 6mm of tip in hole. I filled hole with WD40 few times in hope it may loosen the tip. Should I leave it as it is without part screwing in another plug and hope the tip blows out under pressure ?
Has anyone had any similar experience of this and can possibly offer some advice on next steps ?
How to remove Broken Glow Plugs

have a look at this, maybe this is the issue with peugoet engines. Ive seen a few tools online that are for removing broken glow plugs also

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
this maybe abit late advice now but I guy told me to let the car idle for about 15/20mins before you remove the glow plugs this heats the head up and helps them come out easy after the engine is cool off course! :D

what I done was let the car run and after 10mins the car is not running start to lose the glow plugs then wait till its cool to remove them fully.

wish I could help with the broken tip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this advice its never too late this might help with the remaining three plugs and its good tip for other members.
My main concern other than the broken tip is regeneration. I believe the car needs at least 3 working glowplugs otherwise it will never regenerate. Im sure I read this somewhere on this forum but I cannot find confirmation on this anywhere.
The DPF is sitting at 89% and my engine light is on.
Is engine management light and depollution message an automatic mot fail ?
MOT is due at weekend. Great timing eh

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for this advice its never too late this might help with the remaining three plugs and its good tip for other members.
My main concern other than the broken tip is regeneration. I believe the car needs at least 3 working glowplugs otherwise it will never regenerate. Im sure I read this somewhere on this forum but I cannot find confirmation on this anywhere.
The DPF is sitting at 89% and my engine light is on.
Is engine management light and depollution message an automatic mot fail ?
MOT is due at weekend. Great timing eh
Yes its a fail as far as i know, they changed it a few years ago. If EML on im sure they have made it a fail.

not sure about the glowplug i thought it was 2, but you definatly need a certain number working.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You need 3 working so hopefully you will get lucky, have 3 new ones in and sail through the not. Then work on getting the broken one sorted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my safest plan is to find a mobile injector / glow plug removal engineer to get this out. Id be more confident replacing the other three knowing he is there to pick up the pieces :lol:
If anyone can recommend someone for this type of job in central scotland please give me a shout. :thumb:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think my safest plan is to find a mobile injector / glow plug removal engineer to get this out. Id be more confident replacing the other three knowing he is there to pick up the pieces :lol:
If anyone can recommend someone for this type of job in central scotland please give me a shout. :thumb:

Im pretty close but not a glowplug expert or really familiar with much to do with fixing cars lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made a few enquieries but not getting much joy yet finding a solution for this other than major work taking head off.
Does anyone know if the glow plug tip on this engine can enter the cylinder ?
Im wondering if there is a chance it may get sucked in and damage piston/valves. I dont know if plug apperture narrows at end preventing from going in or whether its wide enough to pass through. Has anyone got a cylinder head off one at moment that can have a look or does anyone happen to know the answer ?

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Yes it can get into engine some people suggest using a drift and hammer it into the cylinder then use a small magnet to remove it through the injector hole.

I have never tried this sounds a bit crazy but it seems it is possible !

There are posts on here regarding this very subject.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does sound feasable but one hell of a risk :D
Its only got the very fine conductor wire that the magnet could latch on to.
Its begining to look like head off is unavoidable.
I have been trying to recall a woodworking tool that might stand a chance and found a pic. (see pic attached) Im sure I have one buried in shed.
This might be last hope. Does anyone know how do you magnetise metal to give it more of a slim chance ? If this works everyone will be doing it :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
well if the head has to come off dont you have to remove injectors first? might be worth a try knocking into cyclinder and using magnet, one of those telescopic ones would work a treat im guessing

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks both that sounds like a brilliant idea and certainly worth considering as last resort before taking off head.
Is there a decent sized opening into cylinder via the injector hole on this engine ?

My plan tomorrow was to try to get the metal screw tool above to bite into the tip. I will then attach a power magnet (11kg pull strength)to the tool and hopefully coax it out.Bit of a long shot but never say never :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Let me see if i got this correctly, you were trying to remove the glowplug, and the head broke ?

Can we get a picture? i MIGHT have a idea...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pichler tools u tube just brought the set amazing quality but very expensive might be worth calling garages to see if they have that tool no one near me did , I also found company in Bristol who can come out but thought I would bite the bullet and invest in the kit myself .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts