Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down today, no bad noises or anything like that, just complete loss of power

Now the engine wont start

Breakdown, had a look and peered in the top black housing and said the belt was wobbling and could be the Tensioner?

Its under the black plastic cover right at the top at the back of engine. And not any of the belts that are visible on the left-hand side of engine

I dont think he knew what he was talking about TBH. but can I ask a question?

If it is the tensioner, is it death? And if it was the tensioner, why wouldnt it run?

Cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not one to rant but there is a lot of different engines under the bonnet of a 307

It would be helpful for a speedy reply to fill in those blanks in your next post ?

Sounds if your " mechanic" couldn't be bothered to help you too with diagnosis or repair needed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not one to rant but there is a lot of different engines under the bonnet of a 307

It would be helpful for a speedy reply to fill in those blanks in your next post ?

Sounds if your " mechanic" couldn't be bothered to help you too with diagnosis or repair needed
Too true! I just came back because I had realized that I gave no info.

307 CC 2.0ltr 180 (174BHP), 2004

I can see part of the belt at the bottom lefthand side and it hasnt snapped, spinning when i turn over the engine

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Which company breakdown service was it? Not good enough whoever it was so I would complain. Right at the top of the engine, which side looking at the engine, left hand or right hand. The engine is the left hand and the gearbox is the right. There are lots of "black boxes" under the bonnet hiding lots of different things but the engine drive belts and ancillaries are all at the left hand side as you are looking at the engine. When you said "complete loss of power" had the engine cut out and were there any fail lights as it happened? Did you push the clutch in and did the engine stay running or did it cut out and stop running then? When you tried to start did the dash board lights all illuminate and did the starter sound normal and did the engine spin as fast as it normally did? How did you get it home?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just cut out on a hill, no noises, and I didnt notice any engine lights and becuase it was on a really steep hill, i didnt have time to depress the clutch. The breakdown guy was looking at a covered cowling at the top left side of the engine. I can see quite a lot of the belt on the lefthand side lower down and it hasnt broken, because when I turn it over, it spins around. I think the rest of the belt is under the cowling and might include the tensioner?

Just odd that the engine will not start, beginning to think it has nothing to do with the belt

Cheers for your help

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you can see the timing belt and it is intact [still turning as you say], then the next thing to do would be to find someone with PP2000, hook it up and read error codes and also swing the motor over to get live readings and see if cam/crank sync is ok, state of immobiliser etc.

You could also check the belt timing by removing the top cover and then checking if both cam gears and flywheel pinning holes line up in their correct places.

Do the beep test also just to rule out unlikely key failure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a bad key, that turns over the car but wont start it, it feels like that so the immobilizer has sprung to mind. OK and thanks, ill get someone out after weekend

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
The belt you are seeing is I think the ancillary belt and not the timing belt. You will need better access to the front of the engine to check that. Jack up that side, wheel off for starters. Do the lights come on when you turn the ignition on to the run position as opposed to the starter position? If so try hand turning the engine to see if there are any restrictions to motion caused by interference.
What fuel does this engine use, petrol or diesel. My Haynes manual shows the output of the 2L petrol as 100KW which equates to 135BHP and the 2L diesel as the same. Both of these are the twin cam version. The single cam diesel is a lot lower. The most powerful version of which produces 81kw.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When you crank the engine over does it turn over really fast and kind of sounds odd ,take a sound recording of it cranking over and post it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you crank the engine over does it turn over really fast and kind of sounds odd ,take a sound recording of it cranking over and post it
It does sound a little odd and does seem to spin fast

Sounds like no compression

CC180 is 174BHP apparently and according to my MOT. I think they do a 136 and a 174bhp

Definitely not a twin cam, well at least i dont think so

Images of engine, lower belt is as poster suggested the ancillaries belt. Under the top left black cowling, where the two black pipes are - is that the cam belt?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Is it petrol or diesel?
That is the ancillary belt driving the alternator among others.
Googled it and the car is a petrol with retractable top?
Twin cam so you will see 2 cam wheels on the front of the head but need to take the access covers off.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Yes there should be two of them. That one is for the exhaust valves and the other will be near the windscreen side for the inlets. You could try a compression check which will need the spark plugs removing and a gauge to replace them one at a time and then with it screwed in you turn the engine over until the needle peaks at the highest reading. They should all be about the same around 180psi.
Fondly enough another member has just started a thread of the same engine which shows a photo of the cams. The thread is entitled"307cc timing belt change" so you could have a look as it might help you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts