Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, decided to try and get the wing looking like the rest of the car today, there's a few scratches on it so I wanted to get it looking nice.

Got some paint mixed up at halfords in an aerosol and also in a tin and brush.
This is my first time doing something like this so be easy..

I cleaned up the area with some rubbing alcohol to get rid of the grease and dirt, lightly sanded it with wet/dry 1200 and gave it a light coat of the aerosol. The color is an exact match, apart from it's dried a matte color with no shine.

I made a 2nd trip to hafords, got some clear lacquer, applied a thin coat and it's exactly the same.

So, just wanting to know what I need to do next. Read I should get some "clear coat" is this not the same as lacquer?

Should I buy a mop buffer and buff it to a shine?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated as I'm now driving around in a metallic car with a matte wing.

Cheers.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You want to put several coats of clearcoat (same as lacquer) over the wing to give it some protection. The paint itself will be basecoat which doesnt stand up well to any kind of abuse - the clear gives you both shine and protection. You may need to get some 2000 grit and give it a good wet sanding after the clear is dry, then polish it up using a clean rag (t-shirts are awesome for this) and some compound - you can get farecla g3 at halfords, or even use t-cut. Hard work without a machine polisher but utterly doable. Be careful as both the t-cut and g3 are abrasive so if you keep at it too long, you'll go through the clearcoat then you'll have to start all over again with the paint...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want to put several coats of clearcoat (same as lacquer) over the wing to give it some protection. The paint itself will be basecoat which doesnt stand up well to any kind of abuse - the clear gives you both shine and protection. You may need to get some 2000 grit and give it a good wet sanding after the clear is dry, then polish it up using a clean rag (t-shirts are awesome for this) and some compound - you can get farecla g3 at halfords, or even use t-cut. Hard work without a machine polisher but utterly doable. Be careful as both the t-cut and g3 are abrasive so if you keep at it too long, you'll go through the clearcoat then you'll have to start all over again with the paint...
So the lacquer I have from halfords is fine? After I put it on it's just a matte colour. I'll get some 2000 grit tomorrow. Will all this give the shine back like the rest of the car?

P

·
0 Posts
So the lacquer I have from halfords is fine? After I put it on it's just a matte colour. I'll get some 2000 grit tomorrow. Will all this give the shine back like the rest of the car?
Mr Money bags using Halfords stuff haha. I was going to use the halfords lacquer but stopped when i read a couple bad reviews haha.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr Money bags using Halfords stuff haha. I was going to use the halfords lacquer but stopped when i read a couple bad reviews haha.
So I messed up there then :(

I've only put one thin coat on, and it's matte color. Should I put more coats on?
I've also just bought a Silverline polisher, should I go over the lacquer with that?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dave

Did you put primer first if not its possible your colour sunk in as you mention it was a thin coat.

Why not try the buffer but I have a feeling it may pull what you put on back off.

Hope you get it sorted ok

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No I didn't, the guy at my local paint shop (signmasters) said to sand it down, smooth as possible since it's a plastic wing. Then to put a few thin coats on it and then finally lacquer.

What the guy didn't tell me was to sand in between coats with very fine wet/dry sand paper.

Can't believe I didn't think to do that.

So, I sanded it all down with 1200, put a thin coat of paint on, and then sanded it with 2000 wet/dry and tack cloth. It's all smoother now, just waiting for the weather to up so I can lacquer it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I've done 3 coats. Had my wind shield up (large fishing umbrella), and it's the same.
Some parts are clear, the rest aren't.

I've also lightly sanded between coats, also used some tack cloth to get it perfectly smooth. Just will not shine. Think I'll have to pay a body shop some money to go over it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Don't go mad with the 2000 between coats - you need to leave a key for the paint to stick to and 2000 may leave it too smooth for the paint to get a good grip. Also don't worry about it looking patchy - just make sure you put on fairly even coats - as you build up the layers of colour, it'll even out. The only thing to watch for it bits of crap in the paint - if you spot any grit or bugs (yeah flies love to land in paint, and then can't get out again) sand those out smooth, but something like 800-1200 is more than enough, then go over it again with the colour until you're sure you've got proper coverage. At this point it will still dry matte, but like I said before, that's what the clear is for. Do the same with the clear as you did with the colour, several thin, even coats, and only sand between them (this time you might want something finer like 1500 but I still think 2000 is too fine) if there's a specific reason, like grit etc. Once there's a good coat of clear on, leave it to dry overnight, then it's time for the 2000 - wet sand everything you put clear on until the whole surface is super smooth, but cloudy looking. When you're sure it's as smooth as possible (obviously don't sand through all the clear) then it's time to start polishing - same goes, lots of light passes is better than a single heavy one and hopefully you'll end up with a good result.

I can't comment on the quality of halford clear - I wouldn't use it but then again, I have a compressor, spraygun and access to 2k products, so I wouldn't use ANY aerosols other than maybe primer. Don't worry that you didn't use primer - if you're painting on top of paint then you don't need it - the only time to prime is when going over bare metal/plastic or if you're trying to minimise small imperfections in the surface as a high build primer will give you room to sand/fill them away.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just can't get the lacquer on equally. Put it on perfect, light sand inbetween each coat, and I managed 7 coats. Just patchy all over. Off to a local place tomorrow for a quote from a friend who does them for a living. Hopefully he'll say the paint is good and it just needs a clear coat on to make it shine.

Also got a wing on eBay lined up to buy in the next few days :)

Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have it about 20cm away from the wing, with a warm-ish can of lacquer, and in a wind free zone. I'm going horizontal, left to right motion and taking my finger off the cap as I get to each end. Parts are shining, but at the edge, when the lacquer meets the metallic finish the car has it's patchy.

P

·
0 Posts
I have it about 20cm away from the wing, with a warm-ish can of lacquer, and in a wind free zone. I'm going horizontal, left to right motion and taking my finger off the cap as I get to each end. Parts are shining, but at the edge, when the lacquer meets the metallic finish the car has it's patchy.
Are you not meant to start spraying before the part and continue spraying after the part?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update. Decided to go all out with a Lacquer and put a really thick coat on. The shine is actually there now. I must not have been putting a thick enough coat on. Couple of coats and it's looking good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts