Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't feel like my headlights are particularly bright on my 2006 2.0 HDI when in low beam. .

I've checked the alignment etc and thats all fine and i've played about with the angle but i just done feel like they are giving out as much light as they should.

Full beam on the other hand is unbelievably bright. I feel like i am going to burn someones retinas if they come the opposite way and i don't turn them down.

Is this common ? worth replacing the bulbs ? Any recommendations on the type/brand of bulb if so ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a pair of Philips bluevision ultra in my dipped beam and it's definitely on when it's on - replaced them almost as soon as I got the car so can't really comment as to how much better they are. Definitely a nicer colour though - despite the name, they aren't blue at all (IMO) but there's no trace of the usual halogen yellow. As for the main beams, I have the same concern, mine seem massively bright so maybe it's just the way they are in the 407's...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Halogen bulbs lose brightness as they are used.

I use Ring Xenon Ultima in mine.
Osram Nightbreakser are recommended too.
I have a pair of Philips bluevision ultra in my dipped beam and it's definitely on when it's on - replaced them almost as soon as I got the car so can't really comment as to how much better they are. Definitely a nicer colour though - despite the name, they aren't blue at all (IMO) but there's no trace of the usual halogen yellow. As for the main beams, I have the same concern, mine seem massively bright so maybe it's just the way they are in the 407's...
Cheers guys

Ring Xenon Ultimas seem fairly reasonable at just under £16 delivered from Amazon with a pair of sidelight bulbs thrown in for the price and good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Xenon-Ultima-Uprated-Performance/dp/B00603EDOU

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about HiD conversion? Cheap enough these days and take about half an hour
Did consider it although read many issues with the electrics playing up afterwards.

That said I may look into it further once i see how the bulb change affects the vision. Based on my current levels I suspect it will be a decent improvement

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
How do the HID bulbs fit with the mot's. They are only legal with self leveling systems, has anyone got by the mot without the leveling system?

C

·
0 Posts
How do the HID bulbs fit with the mot's. They are only legal with self leveling systems, has anyone got by the mot without the leveling system?
I had them in mine for over a year passed MOT without any issues. I fitted 6000k which is quite a white light with only a trace of blue took half hour to fit and looked good. As far as Im aware they only need self levellers & washers etc if they are fitted as standard etc but it is an unclear point on the MOT checklist think it may be down to individual testers opinions.

How about HiD conversion? Cheap enough these days and take about half an hour
Again I had the one with a warning canceller in mine for over 12 months and they where fine no electrical gremlins etc etc. So much brighter than normal bulbs. When I turned the lights off however they threw up a beep followed by a warning saying headlamp faulty but no warning came on when they where switched on. Again I had no issues with MOT or the dreaded wiper electrical gremlin so is it a coincidence or was I just lucky???? Me i am personnally going to say do it but its obviously just my personnal opinion. Currently going to try the Nightbreakers unlimited that I have just ordered for my Mondy yesterday but if they don't live up to the hype im goin back to HIDs :thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had them in mine for over a year passed MOT without any issues. I fitted 6000k which is quite a white light with only a trace of blue took half hour to fit and looked good. As far as Im aware they only need self levellers & washers etc if they are fitted as standard etc but it is an unclear point on the MOT checklist think it may be down to individual testers opinions.

Again I had the one with a warning canceller in mine for over 12 months and they where fine no electrical gremlins etc etc. So much brighter than normal bulbs. When I turned the lights off however they threw up a beep followed by a warning saying headlamp faulty but no warning came on when they where switched on. Again I had no issues with MOT or the dreaded wiper electrical gremlin so is it a coincidence or was I just lucky???? Me i am personnally going to say do it but its obviously just my personnal opinion. Currently going to try the Nightbreakers unlimited that I have just ordered for my Mondy yesterday but if they don't live up to the hype im goin back to HIDs :thumb:
anybody tried the led route.

Car Truck 1800LM 50W Cree LED HeadLight H7 Head lamp 6000K | eBay

·
Registered
741 Posts
Have Nightbreaker Plus in both dipped and main beam on the 407 (which will be poached for the Golf shortly). The difference is amazing between them and normal bulbs.
The new Nightbreaker Unlimited are supposed to be even better.

·
Registered
240 Posts
those leds look a bit down on power if all the common figures are to be believed...3200 lumens is the output for a common HID lamp ,and they're only 1800 for the led's..
i'd do a bit of digging with your wiring first ,mine looks awful skinny,i put in the osrams on dip and PIA on main beams ..i'm not impressed yet..they seem awful yellow/soft.
my golf has retrofitted hid's that are way brighter and have good beam control -nice and clear definition.i might add i changed the whole headlamp too for the modern clear lens versions that use a shaped reflector to create the beam..but 407's use a projector lens anyway so should be good really.
i can't help feeling the wiring is not up to the job -perhaps marginally ok when new... but what about 180,000+ miles later..?
my next job will be measure the voltage at the bulb to check for resistance in the wiring losing me power...ie volts
it may be a double up on wiring is necessary to improve things,or run the lamps off the alternator directly via extra relays, to up the volts to a full 14v of the alternator...only time will tell..
neil

·
Registered
119 Posts
those leds look a bit down on power if all the common figures are to be believed...3200 lumens is the output for a common HID lamp ,and they're only 1800 for the led's..
i'd do a bit of digging with your wiring first ,mine looks awful skinny,i put in the osrams on dip and PIA on main beams ..i'm not impressed yet..they seem awful yellow/soft.
my golf has retrofitted hid's that are way brighter and have good beam control -nice and clear definition.i might add i changed the whole headlamp too for the modern clear lens versions that use a shaped reflector to create the beam..but 407's use a projector lens anyway so should be good really.
i can't help feeling the wiring is not up to the job -perhaps marginally ok when new... but what about 180,000+ miles later..?
my next job will be measure the voltage at the bulb to check for resistance in the wiring losing me power...ie volts
it may be a double up on wiring is necessary to improve things,or run the lamps off the alternator directly via extra relays, to up the volts to a full 14v of the alternator...only time will tell..
neil
I have factory hid's on my 407 and night breakers unlimited on main beam,
night breakers are ok but no way as good as my dip hid's

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Have Nightbreaker Plus in both dipped and main beam on the 407 (which will be poached for the Golf shortly). The difference is amazing between them and normal bulbs.
The new Nightbreaker Unlimited are supposed to be even better.
You made the change then James, it would be interesting to read a comparison with the 407 eventually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts