Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am having problem with my rear brake rotors, they keep rusting very quickly, do not last longer than 2 years.
This rotor was changed last year and its in a pityful state.
Does anyone have an idea if there is something wrong or how could I prevent this?
The mechanic says nothing wrong but I can't keep trashing rotors (which are not cheap at 80 quid each since they include bearing).
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
They're rear discs, a year old and they're scored like that already?

Are you sure your mechanic is changing them and not just tarting them up and charging you for a change?

I'm assuming the outer is a stone shield behind the disc, which could be replaced or de rusted and painted. Same with the central hub.

·
12,149 Posts
Where do you live and how old is the car? I see more rust on the body behind the discs.

·
Registered
929 Posts
That`s a ridiculous amount of rust for a one year old disc.Were they O/E quality discs or cheapo Chinese ones made of tin foil.
I take it new pads were fitted along with the new discs. By the look of whats left of that disc the pads are only touching half on it. Something is not right? either the way the pads have been fitted or one of the sliding tubes in the caliper is seized.
I would find yourself a small Peugeot Indy and have it all stripped and inspected.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your answers, I live in Nottingham, so quite far from the sea!
The rotors were bought on eurocarpart and they are Pagid, new pagid shoes were fitted as well.
My mechanic changed them in front of me, so I am positive they were changed.
I even have the order, they were bought on 07-05-2016 (so a bit more than one year)...
The car is 11 years old with 135k miles on the odo.
I did change the sliding pins years ago but it might be time to do it again...

·
6,587 Posts
Looks to me like you may have a partly seized caliper and its not gripping the disc correctly.

Pagid discs are OEM quality so if the brakes are working 100% you should have no issues

·
6,587 Posts
If caliper are ok then check pads are not stuck in caliper some pass can be a snug fit when new and jam over time. Often you can see if it's a issue as one pad wears faster than the other

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Textar, Mintex & Pagid are all part of the same parent company: TMD Friction. I've tried Mintex before and I wouldn't use those again, the pads felt wooden and the discs... rusted through much easier... just like you. Most OEM brake pads come with a rubber liner on the back, Mintex did not - shows how much cost cutting goes on when you consider how much a bit of rubber costs!!

I would suggest buying Brembo OEM brake discs & pads, those are the best ones I have found so far and if your discs are rusting through like that, you can paint the brake disc with high temp paint on the non-braking surface. Even my 306 which has been sat outside for a year and a half still has clean brake disc surfaces!!

On the look of it, you definitely have seized sliders though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I had them inspected by a Peugeot indi last Friday.
He had to change both the rotors as they were rusted to death, he did give a good cleaning to pins and calipers.
He told me that the pads i've been using were really of poor quality and were slightly bigger, so they did not slide properly. Pins were also in need of lubrication.
He stripped all, lubed all, new rotors, new pads and a new brake switch for 230..
Hope now I won't have to see this kind of rust again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts