Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm replacing the brake pads and discs on my peugeot 106 en after removing the pads I pumped the brake pedal several times :rolleyes:.
Next day I saw that the brake piston was sticking out en I'm wondering now how I can get it back in place.

I'm think that the brake system is under pressure so I'm afraid of just pushing it back. I assume I need to open the cap on the brake fluid recervoir but I prefer to wait and see what you guys have to say.

Thank you in advance :D

Can't post images or links since this is my first post.. Sorry !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to get the wheel off on the other side but it was stuck on the hub because of rust. So what I did was turning the wheels and pumping the brake pedal to get the rust loose. That's the story behind my mistake.

I'll try pushing it back in tomorrow.

Thanks a lot reliable406 ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your brake piston has come out. it means you have got air in your brake system & need to bleed your brakes.

Remove the brake pipe from the caliper.
Plug it with a piece of cloth.
Lubricate the seal on the piston & the piston housing inside the caliper with a bit of clean brake fluid.
Push the piston back into the piston housing. (make sure you don't damage the seal).
Attach the brake pipe back onto the caliper.
Assemble the brake.
Bleed this wheel first untill it starts building up pressure
You might be able to get away with only bleeding this wheel but I would use this time to flush my brake system out & make sure there is no air in my brake system.

The are numerous ways to bleed brakes.
This is the method I use.
You need two people.

You need a transparent pipe & an empty bottle.
I usually go to a pet shop & buy some aquarium filter pipe.

Fill your brake fluid reservoir with brake fluid.
Pour a bit of brake fluid in the empty bottle.
Attach one end of the pipe to the nipple on the caliper & put the other end in the bottle with a bit of brake fluid in it.
Loosen the nipple with a spanner then tighten it hand tight.
One person pumps the brake pedal a few times then holds the pedal down while the other person opens the brake nipple slightly to release the air then tighten it again.
Repeat untill your brake system starts building up pressure.
Bleed your whole brake system in the sequence described in your workshop manual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was trying to get the wheel off on the other side but it was stuck on the hub because of rust. So what I did was turning the wheels and pumping the brake pedal to get the rust loose. That's the story behind my mistake.

I'll try pushing it back in tomorrow.

Thanks a lot reliable406 ;)
In future spay your wheel & hub with some penetrating oil.
Let it stand for the time specified on the can then tap the rim softly & in such a way that the rim vibrates.
The vibrations will loosen the rust.
If the wheel still doesn't want to come off, use a bearing extractor to pull it off.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In future spay your wheel & hub with some penetrating oil.
Let it stand for the time specified on the can then tap the rim softly & in such a way that the rim vibrates.
The vibrations will loosen the rust.
If the wheel still doesn't want to come off, use a bearing extractor to pull it off.
Making sure you don't get any penetrating fluid on the brake disk or pads.
Malcolm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Making sure you don't get any penetrating fluid on the brake disk or pads.
Malcolm.
If a bit of penetrating fluid does run on to the disk, wash it off with degreasing fluid and a scrubbing brush, then give the disk a light even sanding with 220 grit water paper on both sides.
Brake pads are a different story, if you get penetrating fluid on them it is safer to replace them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If a bit of penetrating fluid does run on to the disk, wash it off with degreasing fluid and a scrubbing brush, then give the disk a light even sanding with 220 grit water paper on both sides.
Brake pads are a different story, if you get penetrating fluid on them it is safer to replace them.
Probably better off just hitting the back of the wheel in a non-damaging way to loosen it.
Malcolm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts