Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had front tyres replaced this weekend (Primacy 3 with <10K, not impressed :( giving Efficient Grip Performance @£70 a corner a whirl) and garage declared front pads 90% worn. This ties in with 80% worn noted following free inspection getting a recall item done at Peugeot dealer a month or so ago.

Been pricing up new pads and noticed quite a wide selection available based on reg no. search, not relative to brand but in terms of size (relative to disc diameter). How many front disk size variations does an Allure have? :confused:

I will rely on garage to obtain and take responsibility for correct fitment but I also noticed pads with and without brake wear indicator 'preparation'.

I would hope to have had some warning indication before 90% worn but nothing seen to date. I can see various brake related icons in the cluster/manual but nothing which appears to relate directly to brake wear

Is brake wear indication present on a 2015 Allure or indeed any 308?? Or is it more likely the brake pads on the parts sites are generic and cover a number of makes and models (including those with brake wear indication..)??

·
Registered
888 Posts
What indicator? I'm not sure any 308 have some electric indicator which should light some warning light, so if you thinking about that kind of pads - no use of it. Some pads have some metal part within last 10% or so which produce kind of squeaking sound as warning indication.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electrical brake wear indicators as in a wire loop embedded in the pad material which when worn through breaks a circuit and illuminates a warning light.

I wouldn't trust mechanical indicators and I know many people who have not heard (or profess not to have heard) any squealing from the pins, before long they have been down to backing plate on disc action, mmmm grindy :(

Agree on the inspection and of course pads should last for many miles so wear should be caught well in advance at multiple services, tyre replacements etc.

However at service last July, was told pads would last until next service (this July). For the same monthly mileage pad wear seems to have accelerated as end of pad life approaches so wont make March never mind July :nono: Something to be aware of perhaps, if people take dealer advice at face value....

So no sensors on 308 and brake pads with such preparation not required, something to bear in mind during parts search, not sure why it appears as an option, unless pads are a generic multi-vehicle fitment :confused:

Anyway getting pads supplied and fitted for around £75 at local National Tyres (inc. 20% discount currently) :thumb:

·
6,449 Posts
Peugeot (and other manufacturers) often use a clip in sensor which fits into a notch in the brake pads.

As the pads are shared across various models and ranges the notch in the pads for the sensor is often fitted but not used as they only make one version of the pads. My DS uses prepared for wear indicator pads but does not have the sensors fitted.

It appears that its often the top brake option for a model that uses the wear indicator pads

·
Registered
542 Posts
Been pricing up new pads and noticed quite a wide selection available based on reg no. search, not relative to brand but in terms of size (relative to disc diameter). How many front disk size variations does an Allure have? :confused:

I will rely on garage to obtain and take responsibility for correct fitment but I also noticed pads with and without brake wear indicator 'preparation'.
Best idea to let garage decide. It sounds just like my first car - mk2 Fiat Uno. The mafia sold the contract for parts supply. I had to check the microfiche at dealer to help them work out the Fiat part to order! I thought things like were back in the past...lol!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The mafia did not own fiat fiat did not buy in parts they made EVERYTHING in house the uno was made totally by fiat they even had their own metal works on site !

They made fiat 131 models till they had no more rear axles left !

Uno had standard fiat size discs used on most models only the turbo had different discs they were the same ones used on a 131 strada 128 127 etc etc calipers were also the same across the range along with most parts also being used in lancias and seats of the time before seats were VW group they were spanish built fiats !

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
In my experience, all Italian manufacturers, car and motorcycle, use the parts bin method, if it fits, use it. Does make finding the correct part later a bit of a nightmare.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes that is true but the parts bin was fiats parts bin !

Fiat made ALL the parts for their cars unlike most other manufacturers electrical parts were generally magneti marelli which was owned by fiat !

Fiat also made most electrical parts for ferrari etc as they owned them too !

It actually made finding parts easier as a part would fit many models not just 1 like nowadays !

·
Registered
542 Posts
The mafia did not own fiat fiat did not buy in parts they made EVERYTHING in house the uno was made totally by fiat they even had their own metal works on site !

They made fiat 131 models till they had no more rear axles left !

Uno had standard fiat size discs used on most models only the turbo had different discs they were the same ones used on a 131 strada 128 127 etc etc calipers were also the same across the range along with most parts also being used in lancias and seats of the time before seats were VW group they were spanish built fiats !
I had a 1991 Fiat Uno Mk2 with 1108 fire engine. The carb was from Weber and there were 19 different versions fitted in the space of 18 months!! The model later switched to a Bosch fuel injection.

The exhaust was a special part only to my model. When my back box went I went to National who offered me £50 to do the box. What a nightmare as the Walker box didn't fit. They then looked a new centre pipe. That didn't fit. As they chopped my rear box off they couldn't reweld and send me on the road. They paid for a Fiat exhaust as it was their fault. Fiat even couldn't get the parts. I ended up with a Uno Turbo full exhaust FOC....

Pads weren't cheap on that car, I think I kept it too long but I think I was sentimental as it was my first car when at Uni.

The electrics on that were well dodgy looking back...I did buy a 2000 306 2.0 cabrio. French and Italian. That was ok just one or two hiccups with the hood. Other than it was great fun.

I do like the latest 508 pics. But not so sure I will renew to Peugeot again next year...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had my pads checked recently and the tech said they had no wear indicators , I was surprised considering the spec of the car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts