Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have done the earth mod on the back light pods and now intermittently i have either flickering or no brake lights, this includes the lights on the rear window.
I tested the lights and I had them all working perfectly after the mod on saturday last but on tuesday I started getting the 'right hand brake bulb faulty' warning.
I've checked all bulbs and connections and all seem ok.
Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
by the sounds of it, it doesn't have a decent earth connection. you say you had it working on the test. but when the car is moving the connection is under constant vibration so it may work itself ever so slightly loose. tighten the connection and try putting copper slip to keep the connection constant.

ps. what earth mod is this? never heard of it?

hope this helps :thumb:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also checked all the fuses and they're all ok (does anyone know which one does the rear brake lights?)

I'll try the connections again.
The mod was to put a direct earth connection onto the metal circut board in the light pod, I got a guide from Trem1. I had a burned out earth wire in the connecting plug and this solved the problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a loose connection in the wire I had made up to do the mod :eek:
I now have lights 90% of the time but still have a flicker in them occasionaly.
I have good solid earth connections to both rear pods but it's still giving me trouble.
I've also pulled the connecting plug apart to check if the pins were damaged or loose but all seems fine
I've seen in other posts that the brake light switch can be troublesome, where is this switch? I cant seem to locate it under the bonnet. :confused:

D

·
0 Posts
How did you attach the new earth to the bulb holder. Is the bulb holder a genuine one of the modified type?
All the connectors and connector are to be replaced in the Peugeot Info flash to cure this problem.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't believe the brake light switch isn't under the bonnet - its on the brake pedal itself.
If this is faulty, you would get an ESP / ASR fault coming up on the display - been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
New switch approx. £26 + VAT from Peugeot - supply & fit cost me £60, and only took 20 mins to do, but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, the holder is the original type as far as I know. Is there any way of telling by looking at it?

The mod was to drill a small hole in the metal circut board and run a cable from it directly to the factory earth point. Simple job but I made up the cable in a hurry one evening and hadn't crimped the fitting on securely enough. I re-did the job last night and seem to have fixed it.
The earth pin in the connection on the passenger side was badly burnt/corroded so it wasnt functional at all.

jm, I had a look at the pedal and couldn't see any switch, could anyone put up a picture of it in place? Is it an electrical switch or a pressure switch on the brake hydraulic line?
Was the replacement part of a recall with free replacement (prob not seeing as they got you to pay for it) or is it just something that peugot were advising people to get replaced?

I think the majority of my ESP problem is a slightly bent wheel rim (low speed slide into a kerb in the icey weather) but I'm having a very hard time finding a rim in any scrapyard. Will a rim off any other car or model suit the 407?

J

·
0 Posts
I too couldn't see the switch, but I'm pretty sure he said it is in there.. somewhere!

Replacement wasn't part of a recall - mine has lasted 5 years before it failed. Peugeot said the new switch has a modified wiring harness incorporating a resistor, so would presume the old ones would 'cook' themselves over time. This is probably another example of something they've modified over time, along with ball joints, egr valves, etc :thumb:

Probably just this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-1007,-407,-207,-307,-308-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ330431518792QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=207140885029&rvr_id=207140885029&cguid=edb644c312b0a0aad4110c31ffde1bef but looking at that, and the one I replaced on my 306, it is definitely above the brake pedal - the little plunger switch is a good clue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts