Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm back with another question xD

Is it honestly needed a brake fluid replacement for doing only around 6800 miles in 2 years?

Obviously I don't know much, but surely this wouldn't be mandatory? As I've got this on HP, they're expecting me to pay for the brake fluid replacement.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Hi all, I'm back with another question xD

Is it honestly needed a brake fluid replacement for doing only around 6800 miles in 2 years?

Obviously I don't know much, but surely this wouldn't be mandatory? As I've got this on HP, they're expecting me to pay for the brake fluid replacement.

Thanks in advance.
yes as brake fluid absorbs moisture into it and does not work the same

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've just contacted the dealership, they suggested to leave it a bit longer in any case, the brakes seem fine to me, even more better actually since the service.

Thanks for the feedback though.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Just had a service done on my 2.5 year old 308 at 27k miles, and they didn't change the brake fluid.
I do have one of the cheap fluid testers, and that says the fluid is still good - less than 1%.

The change interval always used to be 4 years and the newer brake fluid is less hygroscopic than older versions used to be, but I guess everyone is becoming more and more safety concious these days. Nothing to do with the extra profits involved of course.

To some extent you can tell the state of the fluid by the colour, it gets darker as it absorbs water. But that's a very crude and unreliable test.

The risk is that water in the fluid can boil if subjected to heat at the calliper end when braking. Steam compresses easily, so you could lose your brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts