Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to replace pads in a Pug 307.

After researching, some suggest to use a a brake caliper piston rewind tool. Using g-clamp can sometimes damage the pistons.

Over the years I've always used a g-clamp.

What should I use?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have not worked on a 307 but your enquiry is general to vehicles with front and rear disc brakes....

The G clamp can be used but it can be difficult to assemble in the correct position without compressing the piston at an angle which can be bad news for the piston seal which might distort and fail.

Personally I prefer to use the correct tool, they are not expensive, around £10 and they will compress the piston in a straight line, avoiding annoying damage and subsequent leaks.

Another point to note, I have heard anecdotal evidence that the VERY expensive ABS modulator can be damaged by the back pressure created by using any compressor tool unless the caliper bleed valve is slackened and fluid expelled, as in any fluid bleeding exercise.

If you are in a hurry and want to risk it make sure the key is out of the ignition to be on the safe side before compressing the caliper piston.

Benny.

·
5,674 Posts
G-clamp is fine for front calipers, rears have a screw arrangement to operate the handbrake you need rewind tool to screw the caliper piston back in for new pads etc.

·
11,731 Posts
I found the proper tool made the job a doddle. Thing is its not something you're going to use very often. I borrowed fellow member pr1vatepiles kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've now ordered up a rewind tool.

I've read up on changing the pads for a Pug 307 front and rear. Seem to finding conflicting advice on the hydraulic fluid process. While using the rewind tool either:-

Just rewind the pads or
Undo the bleed valve and let excess fluid run out or
clamp the hydraulic pipe.

Not sure the best method and trying to avoid the damage to the ABS mechanism that some have reported.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts