Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend i've been rebuilding my rear Lucas rear calipers on my 307 2.0 HDI 110. They were orignals and one side was missing a dust boot and was pretty much doing nothing. Got the rebuild kits from these guys Bigg Red They are a great company and very well priced

I have come to bleed the rear brakes and can't seem to do the darn things!
I have had had previous problems before when I let the pads were down to much and the piston popped out the caliper and I lost all the fluid. When I came the bleed it that time It had to go to Peugeot and they said that you can't bleed brakes on the 307 cause you need there computer (I now know this to be peugeot planet software) to hold the Valves open in the ABS pump to let new fluid through and push they air out.

Whilst telling this to my local ATS they said you don't need the computer you can just use a preasure bleeder and that does the job just as well. Is this right?

Since then i've had 2 new calipers on the front and they have bled fine so I thought they were talking rubbish.

I wouldn't say I lost a lot of fluid this time but I can't get the pedal to go hard. Tried several different ways of bleeding them no way seems to work.

Are Peugeot right in what they have said to me previously, if so is there a way to get round this? Any help would be great :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get them bled tommorow with a pressure bleeder and see where how that goes. Is the anything else that could be stopping it from bleeding? The brakes were pretty good before apart from the sticky rear one

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
As Monty9120 says, no need to bleed the abs pump especially if you haven't lost all the fluid. I bought a pressure bleeding kit which uses the spare tyre to provide the pressure. Quickest brake bleeding I've ever done. Haynes says you may need to bleed the pump if you drain the system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a total nightmare bleeding these brakes. Having they exact same problem as last time!

I have tried several different ways to bleed it and used a mates easy bleed system uses tyre pressure which has been mentioned in previous messages. I am getting brake fluid through all 4 calipers and i am waiting a good 5 minutes after i've got a solid stream of fluid before locking off the nipple.

Neither way is working for me at all, I must have used 3 litres of brake fluid cause i have tried it several times now and can't get the pedal to go anything near hard.

I have borrowed a friends Snap On Solos computer which won't pick any faults and doesn't have anything to do with purging ABS valves.

One thing I have been noticing is when i am pumping the brake pedal the fluid reservoir is going down then coming back and the fluid seems to be going down very slowly, I don't if this means anything but thought i'd put out there

Is a planet owner the next step? I read in the haynes book that it's the ABS regulator unit which can sometimes cause the problem.

Ideally i'd like the car working again before friday cause I havn't even test drove it since doing the clutch because the is literally no pedal! The manual for this easy bleed system says it needs 12psi max to work but i have seen sealey bleeders with gauges that go up to 80psi so is more pressure the answer to essentially blast it through the system?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
i have a small compressor without a tank with a sealey bleeder. i set it up and run it with the handle locked on. it trickles through but it means at the same time i can pump the peddle a few times and check the level for top up

i always hold the peddle at the end can you find something to do this for you before you tighten the nut

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Having a total nightmare bleeding these brakes. Having they exact same problem as last time!

I have tried several different ways to bleed it and used a mates easy bleed system uses tyre pressure which has been mentioned in previous messages. I am getting brake fluid through all 4 calipers and i am waiting a good 5 minutes after i've got a solid stream of fluid before locking off the nipple.

Neither way is working for me at all, I must have used 3 litres of brake fluid cause i have tried it several times now and can't get the pedal to go anything near hard.

I have borrowed a friends Snap On Solos computer which won't pick any faults and doesn't have anything to do with purging ABS valves.

One thing I have been noticing is when i am pumping the brake pedal the fluid reservoir is going down then coming back and the fluid seems to be going down very slowly, I don't if this means anything but thought i'd put out there

Is a planet owner the next step? I read in the haynes book that it's the ABS regulator unit which can sometimes cause the problem.

Ideally i'd like the car working again before friday cause I havn't even test drove it since doing the clutch because the is literally no pedal! The manual for this easy bleed system says it needs 12psi max to work but i have seen sealey bleeders with gauges that go up to 80psi so is more pressure the answer to essentially blast it through the system?
if the fluid is going down then it sounds like you have a leak, are you sure you have rebuilt the callipers properly

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have rebuilt loads of calipers and never had any issues, to be honest the isn't really much you can do wrong.

Had a guy come out to me today and he says bleeding the brakes using the pedal can pop the master cylinders it has happened to him before on a pretty much identical car. He says he only pressure bleeds now.

Symptoms are that when the system has been pressure bled twice the still isn't enough pressure being put out by the master cylinder to push the pistons out the caliper. Bear in mind the fronts are only 2 months old and were new from euro car parts.

So would you guys agree master cylinder or plug it into planet and purge the abs system?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I have rebuilt loads of calipers and never had any issues, to be honest the isn't really much you can do wrong.

Had a guy come out to me today and he says bleeding the brakes using the pedal can pop the master cylinders it has happened to him before on a pretty much identical car. He says he only pressure bleeds now.

Symptoms are that when the system has been pressure bled twice the still isn't enough pressure being put out by the master cylinder to push the pistons out the caliper. Bear in mind the fronts are only 2 months old and were new from euro car parts.

So would you guys agree master cylinder or plug it into planet and purge the abs system?
I would say master cylinder

1 - 9 of 9 Posts