Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,i drove my boxer for 30 mins ,stopped to fill up ,turned key to start her and NOTHING !! no clicking of solenoid etc , on the third attempt she turned over and started great ,anyone got any ideas ,,im guessing ignition switch faulty ,what do you guys think ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have tried to find the solenoid on the internet ,but I dont even know where it is or what it looks like ,help !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks reliable 406,gonna check things out at the weekend now I know where to look and what it is im looking at ,if I find the culprit I will post a reply just for the record.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all ,went to check things out today ,turned the key all I got was the clock went off and the warning ,battery and water warning lights came on ? any one any ideas.i have a gut feeling that the starter /solenoid is sticking ,am gonna see if its getting juice (12v dc )and go from there ,am I on the right track?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all ,just an update ,checked the wiring and found good supply direct from battery ,checked supply from key switch to solenoid ok. removed starter and fitted new unit. happy days she started first time ,just a note that the 12v to sol only operates the pinion with the 12v to motor the motor kicks in, but with 12v to motor only nothing happens so I deduced that there must be an internal switch that makes sure the pinion is in position before the motor cranks the engine, is this why its called a pre engaged starter motor?

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
The thick wires supply the starter motor with its main power to turn the engine the thin wire engages the solenoid this does 2 things
1 it throws the pinion out into mesh with ring gear on flywheel
2 internally it connects the heavy wires to the internals of the motor thus only spinning the motor when the pinion is engaged

The solenoid is the main bridge between the battery and the motor and this is the bit that tends to fail first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts