Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I searched and searched for quite a while looking for the right 407 Coupe that I wanted, finally decided one in Leeds was the one for me and took a drive up there (From Watford, 170 odd miles) yesterday to give it a test drive. It drove beautifully around town and when I got back from my test drive I decided I was going to buy it. The car had very low fuel and so I stopped at the first petrol station(BP) I could find and filled it with diesel, I continued then on my way home, about 100 miles into my journey I stopped on the motorway at the services and when I got back in the car and started it up I got an error message on the screen stating there was a fault with the depollution system and an engine management light appeared on the dash. The car drove perfectly fine the rest of the way home and the only sign of any problems is the little warning on the dash.

I've read lots of posts on Google about this fault with different people saying different things, I've seen a lot of mentions of the type of diesel put into the car causing the fault. Could it be I filled up with bad diesel from the BP garage? I've seen lots of mentions of different sensors too and DPF replacements, with some scary prices mentioned.

Is it worth me running this diesel down, filling up with some decent diesel and resetting the ECU or should I be making that 170 mile trip back to the garage that sold it to me and demanding a refund?

Thanks for any help,

Paul

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I doubt the diesel is the issue to be honest depolution faults are usually particulate filter related it really needs plugged in to planet to see what the issue really is could be glowplugs not working could be something more serious

Glowplugs are needed for filter regeneration on these its not really anything to do with starting :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks reliable, I imagine I'm going to have to take it back to the garage where I purchased it and see what they can do, which is a massive 178 mile pain but I'm not really willing to fork out any cash for a diagnosis and then possibly a repair the day after I buy a car and I don't have access to the planet software.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello All,

I searched and searched for quite a while looking for the right 407 Coupe that I wanted, finally decided one in Leeds was the one for me and took a drive up there (From Watford, 170 odd miles) yesterday to give it a test drive. It drove beautifully around town and when I got back from my test drive I decided I was going to buy it. The car had very low fuel and so I stopped at the first petrol station(BP) I could find and filled it with diesel, I continued then on my way home, about 100 miles into my journey I stopped on the motorway at the services and when I got back in the car and started it up I got an error message on the screen stating there was a fault with the depollution system and an engine management light appeared on the dash. The car drove perfectly fine the rest of the way home and the only sign of any problems is the little warning on the dash.

I've read lots of posts on Google about this fault with different people saying different things, I've seen a lot of mentions of the type of diesel put into the car causing the fault. Could it be I filled up with bad diesel from the BP garage? I've seen lots of mentions of different sensors too and DPF replacements, with some scary prices mentioned.

Is it worth me running this diesel down, filling up with some decent diesel and resetting the ECU or should I be making that 170 mile trip back to the garage that sold it to me and demanding a refund?

Thanks for any help,

Paul
no good now i know but you should have rung the garage when you was at the service station only 100 mile back trip. get it touch with the garage that sold it they may say take to your local peugeot dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no good now i know but you should have rung the garage when you was at the service station only 100 mile back trip. get it touch with the garage that sold it they may say take to your local peugeot dealer.
They had already shut unfortunately otherwise I would have done that :( I've called the garage now but the guy who sold it to me isn't in and the other salesman "wasn't able to help..." so I will call back in the morning and see what solution they can offer me.

The curse of Ford is on you. get a diagnostic check done. Post up faults.
My surname ends in ford aswell, it is a curse!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi there

Sorry, to hear you new car has an issue!!! Not nice.

But, don't despair yet!!!

First - age and mileage of car? It sounds like the DPF system needs a service. When it does, a warning will come up on dash board - like the one you've got.

Are you able to check the eloys fluid level?

Also, after you've got this issue sorted, do an oil change!! Start your own OCI. I recommend Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 for this car. Good cleaning properties but change regularly. I'll be doing 5k oil changes.

The previous owner of my car did every 2 years. Or every 3k!!! Should be at least once a year.

I have the same car. Red with white leather. Only 35k on clock. Had it for three weeks.

C

·
0 Posts
As David has already said diagnostic is needed to find the fault, depollution system fault is a generic term, it could be anything so don't just jump to the conclusion it's the dpf like most do. Faulty egr will flag up the same warning. Plus low additive in tank would give a different warning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
@ CAB - good advice. I agree, get fault codes read. I didn't know EGR fault will throw that warning. Still learning!!! Just thinking check eloys fluid as he can do that before taking to garage.

@ OP, If you intend keeping this car, you should get Peugeot Planet? I'm getting it as I think it will be needed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
@ CAB - good advice. I agree, get fault codes read. I didn't know EGR fault will throw that warning. Still learning!!! Just thinking check eloys fluid as he can do that before taking to garage.

@ OP, If you intend keeping this car, you should get Peugeot Planet? I'm getting it as I think it will be needed!
Injector seals caused depollution system faulty message for me. Injector #1 was making a chuffing noise, noticable mostly on a cold start.

I tightened up the little allen key bolt below the injector by 1/4 turn and depollution is now off and car is running better too.

I'd say it's worth taking the rocker cover off and seeing if you can feel any air escaping around the injectors, the seals are quite a common issue on this engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts