Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know about turbo failure on these engines, but I got it so cheap at auction is was easily worth a project. It’s 2010 207 1.6 sport (110bhp).

I’ve had the dpf gutted but not done the remap yet, I’d rather do everything I can to sort out the cars oil supply line first.

I changed the lower banjo bolt with the dpf and want to change the oil feed pipe. The garage told me about an aftermarket part with a large inline filter. See it here

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/112854891685

Does this look good?

I wanted to an oil flush and change this weekend (along with sump clean and oil pickup replace) but am now wondering if I should wait until I’ve replaced as many oil channel parts as possible to clean ones before I attempt a flush.

Please anyone who can give advice about what I should do considering the high Milage and suspected 30k service intervals, what should I do to eek out a few years or maybe more?

Thanks

·
11,711 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time or money. Terrible car, terrible engine, and a low price at auction is just screaming alarm bells to me, unless of course it has an impeccable service history and regular oil changes - not just to Peugeot's 20k recommendation.

The MOT rules on DPF gutting could render it a failure regardless.

If you're still here and its still running in six months time I'll eat my hat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What an utterly useless, unhelpful negative reply. I have already bought the car, so thanks for your unnecessary criticism when my request was for help. You offered nothing in advice, just scorn and smug negativity. Goodness knows what awarded you a moderator status. Does anyone have any advice or help to offer? I’d really really appreciate it. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,745 Posts
Making sure the oil gets where it needs to go is obviously the most important factor. Let it warm up and cool down to help nurse the turbo along and don't try to get anymore power out of it with the remap. Dpf delete map only. BUT, Gibbo does have a point when it comes to the dpf delete being an instant mot fail.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time or money. Terrible car, terrible engine, and a low price at auction is just screaming alarm bells to me, unless of course it has an impeccable service history and regular oil changes - not just to Peugeot's 20k recommendation.

The MOT rules on DPF gutting could render it a failure regardless.

If you're still here and its still running in six months time I'll eat my hat.

I have to say I agree with Gibbo. The biggest thing with that 1.6hdi (even new ones!) is servicing. If it hasn't been looked after it'll be a dog for sure. I do hope we're wrong but experience I've had and undoubtedly Gibbo as well, will show.
In my opinion for what it's worth Gibbo was just stating fact and not being unduly negative.

Anyway, good luck with it!

Grumpy.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
I agree the damage is done by following peugeots service regimes if the engine has 10k mile oil changes both the engine AND the turbo can last very well i once bought a partner with 350k miles 1 owner van with regular oil changes the turbo failed at 350k miles but engine was spotless internally no sludge no blocked galleries the turbo just wore out due to mileage.

Point gibbo is making is you are too late if its been poorly serviced then the damage is already done and it wont last much longer by servicing it better now !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are preventative measures that can be taken to replace components which are worst affected by carbon blockages and attempt to extend the functional life of the car. I’m asking for people with experience and knowledge for help, not for people to say the cars a dog, I knew what I was buying, and I also know that a new oil feed pipe, banjo bolt filters, sump clean and new oil pick up amongst many other things are fairly simple measures I can take to really help the situation, I’m really not interested in being told a car I’ve already bought I shouldn’t have bought when the purpose of the thread is for help and suggestions! Pointless and unwanted remarks!

For goodness sake.....

Do you feel better now you’ve dispensed your golden wisdom which has absolutely no use to me whatsoever?

·
Registered
881 Posts
What an utterly useless, unhelpful negative reply. I have already bought the car, so thanks for your unnecessary criticism when my request was for help. You offered nothing in advice, just scorn and smug negativity. Goodness knows what awarded you a moderator status. Does anyone have any advice or help to offer? I’d really really appreciate it. Thank you
Calm down...Gibbo was a bit harsh but I have to agree with him.
These engines "gum up",clean oil is essential.I would not bother with new oil lines,just make sure the old ones are clean.
I`ve used Forte products professionally for years,its good stuff.Pour in a tin of Forte engine flush,run the engine for 30mins or more,change oil and filter.As its very high mileage and you have just bought it,do that twice. Of course make sure you use top quality correct grade of oil.
You never know Gibbo may have to eat his hat?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really am much better off using search function I was just hoping for a more catered response for a high milage car, I don’t KNOW it’s service history has been bad it’s whole life, it might have been for bad only for last 30k. Doesn’t anyone have anything constructive to suggest?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I’ve bought 2 bottles of forte that’s been planned. I do need to buy a new oil feed pipe in there is a new aftermarket one with a larger gauze filter which improves oil flow to the turbo. I get the impression people who don’t know a great deal about this engine and just enjoying a good grump about an engine that is known for being sensitive I’ve to poor servicing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the support suggestion of forte though, at least that’s the line of discussion I was hoping for and another check box for a flush recommendation, I do get mixed opinions

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had a 307 1.6hdi it was just under 190k when i switched

Defo worth dropping sump and remove all the gunk
The crankcase breather check its o seals are okay
A seal mine was orange tends to fail between air pipe and turbo
Check airfilter box for crack and leaks
Even removing dpf guts id use low ash oil
Mine ran better on bp shell than supermarket plus i added millers every tank

The engine is okay yes maintenance is an issue I’ve still got 1.6 hdi and oil and filters will be changed longest 10k miles

Guessing your not looking for real longevity hope yours had some servicing and the dpf removal does not stop your MOT I’d stick it in for fresh test before end April when new mot sounds like much tougher in May :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven’t totally removed the honeycomb structure and I know A LOT of people who’ve had dpf’s removed and not a single MOT failure, only warnings from internet warriors it seems. Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I will be exclusively using top quality low ash oil. Planning on doing 2/3 changes within next 1000 miles and every 6-8k after that. I’m running great right now and I’m fairly convinced with some TLC I’ll be back in 6 months time to get Gibbo to eat his hat, and then again a year later to get him do it again! How long your 307 run for till you sold it or is packed in?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
For clarity i had my dpf gutted about 3 months after getting car warnings came from dash far more often than i liked and mine passed 4 mot tests sold it with 6 months left on it. The new test does seam a bit more robust but lifes a gamble

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve seen the new MOT rules and read them carefully and although it pays lip service to clamping down there are no new rules on measuring particulate output and essentially there is no more official requirement than the old visual inspection.

·
Super Moderator
1,745 Posts
The warnings from the 'internet warriors' would indeed be referring to the new test regulations, so don't be surprised if people start to fail, that's all I and I'm sure others were referring to. Personally I hope it sails through and you'll be here to tell us all in 6 months how great it is. I love nursing a high miler along beyond its useful life!

Now as far as the hat eating etc goes, you've had your say. Let's move on please.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
The design of the sump is the single biggest issue on this engine and i HAVE plenty experience of this engine including high milers.

As suggested if you are removing the sump alter the drain plug as it CANNOT allow all the oil out and all the sludge builds up in the bottom.

Changing the oil feed is not really worth doing unless you have the turbo off and a standard 1 is fine the main issue is the filter in the end of it i just take the filters out.

The engine IS a poor design and you will not cure that completely i still dont understand why peugeot made the sump in such a way you cannot remove all the oil !!

Turbo failure is not as common as you would think and is not ALWAYS caused by oil starvation and even when they are caused by oil starvation it could be because the oil pump is weak another common issue.

Lots of oil changes is what the engine needs to survive.

When they are good they are very good but when they are bad well you know how that is !

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Check and tweak injector bolts

Take out filter in oil feed pipe

Change oil every 6k with genuine filter

If you don’t want to drop the sump use one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01I5A8GHA/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1521537684&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oil+extractor+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=41OclPJ3qZL&ref=plSrch

This works fine on the 1.6hdi and gets it all out

If not take the sump off clean it and drill a hole in the thread of the sump where the sump nut goes in to get all the oil out

Does it have original turbo if it does it’s probably not too bad anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts