Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it me or are these the worst design ever. the older pugs had the ball joint fitted to the wishbone.

its so hard to do as its so tight.

i have tried to replace the one on my car

i have tried my compressor with air gun.

i have tried with a massive breaker bar and 41mm socket

i have strapped up the front hub to try and stop it moving but its silly and wont budge

anyone got any advice. what do peugeot do

·
Registered
437 Posts
They are awful. I much prefer the 306 ones.

If it's tough, take the hub off and mount it in a vice then get a windy gun on it.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my windy gun just laughed at it. i had to put it on with the ball joint that has a small tare in it to use for work.

doesnt seem to knock but need it sorted asap

i have tried so much i have knocked my steering out somehow too

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car drives straight but the steering wheel isnt centre anymore. is there a way of sorting this. is it just a case of unbolting the steering wheel and realigning it?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any advice on re aligning the steering. it was fine before i put massive force on the ball joint lol now when the cars driving straight the steering wheel is slightly to the left

i havent touched the track rod ends at all

·
Registered
14,650 Posts
How badly worn was you old balljoint as if it had a lot of play this may be the reason for the tracking error rather than your brute force check the other joints are fine and get the steering realigned.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the ball joint was already on the hub i brought it was cheaper to buy a hub then get a new bearing fitted.

i had a new ball joint ready whilst i was there but couldnt get the old one off. im not sure how knackered it is. there is a hole in the rubber so no matter what will be an mot failure.

i will try and get a garage to get the ball joint off in due course

i took the steering wheel bolt off but it doesnt seem to be able to be adjusted.

i did the horn fix at the same time which was handy :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How badly worn was you old balljoint as if it had a lot of play this may be the reason for the tracking error rather than your brute force check the other joints are fine and get the steering realigned.
if you let go of the steering it drives in a straight line as it did before. the steering wheels just slightly to the left

·
Registered
14,650 Posts
I would check all the joints are fine along with lower arms if all fine just get tracking redone they set it with the wheel straight.

I would not go removing the steering wheel to correct it as you could end up with comm unit problems :)

I done rear arm bushes on my bongo today and it is now much quieter but it wanders more than it did before I done them looks like a visit to tracking guys for me too :)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no worries mate ill get the tracking done when its due tyres soon.

i did put massive pressure on the hub so thought i had done something lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
You cant straighten it by removing the steering wheel and refitting anyway.

This is due to the column and wheel having a slightly raised area at the top centre with the rest of the circumference being splined. Means that the wheel can only go on in one specific place.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right i finally got my butt in gear today and tackled this.

the ball joint split very easily which was nice. it was knackered so it made life easy for me

i undid the whole hub and had a go with a few compressors. no luck.

i put it in a vice and used my breaker bar with a pole on the end. still no luck

in the end we had to get the blowtorch out. luckily it cracked and went

all back together now except i forgot the metal cover when fitting the balljoint doh.

the steering wheel is still out but both wheels are back to being completely straight. i dont know how i have managed this but i gather getting the tracking done is the only answer?

C

·
0 Posts
i dont know how i have managed this but i gather getting the tracking done is the only answer?
Yep they will set the steering wheel straight and then adjust the tracking so that the wheels point dead ahead again.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just weird how it was perfect before. i havent touched the track rod ends at all

one wheel was definitely out of line before. there now back central.

i dont know whether to adjust the track rods myself just to straighten it up abit.

i mean if i undo one side a certain amount of turns and screw one end in the same amount of turns it shouldnt throw it out?

C

·
0 Posts
just weird how it was perfect before. i havent touched the track rod ends at all

one wheel was definitely out of line before. there now back central.

i dont know whether to adjust the track rods myself just to straighten it up abit.

i mean if i undo one side a certain amount of turns and screw one end in the same amount of turns it shouldnt throw it out?
Can't hurt too much I suppose but I would be wary as they have very small tolerances of 1 degree if you want my honest opinion get your tracking done print out this voucher below and take it into national tyres works out about £15 :thumb:

National Tyres and Autocare

1 - 20 of 22 Posts