Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out to sort the light socket problem this morning and the bonnet release handle is slack as though the cables loose or snapped so the bonnet won't lift. Is there anything I can do to sort it or is it a garage job ?

207 SW s 07

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ?, I've jacked the car up to see if I can get it from the bottom but there's that much going on I cant get my hand up to the latch nevermind a pair of mole grips to tug the release cable

There must be a way

·
Registered
870 Posts
cant be much help but we had the same thing the first day we got the 207, didnt see how the guy opened it but seem to think it was pulling the cable hard from inside the car as it was the bracket in the engine bay broke.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cant be much help but we had the same thing the first day we got the 207, didnt see how the guy opened it but seem to think it was pulling the cable hard from inside the car as it was the bracket in the engine bay broke.
OK thanks for that stripe, it looks like I will have to pull the internal trim away from around the handle. I have mooched around with my hand but I can't feel any cable. Access in a nightmare especially with my big hands.

Only thing is, it's booked for the MOT Weds and it's an instant fail

·
Registered
441 Posts
Anyone ?, I've jacked the car up to see if I can get it from the bottom but there's that much going on I cant get my hand up to the latch nevermind a pair of mole grips to tug the release cable

There must be a way
If I recall correctly, I read a post a long time ago about someone getting at the latch from the side by removing a wheel and the arch liner.
Might be worth scouting it out on another car of the same model first, to see if that looks feasible. Or with the hood open on another car you might spot a route for a poke-y/hook-y tool that isn't obvious from the outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I recall correctly, I read a post a long time ago about someone getting at the latch from the side by removing a wheel and the arch liner.
Might be worth scouting it out on another car of the same model first, to see if that looks feasible. Or with the hood open on another car you might spot a route for a poke-y/hook-y tool that isn't obvious from the outside.

Right I unclipped all the underside were the handle is and revealed this cable. Can someone confirm this is the bonnet cable ?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Right I unclipped all the underside were the handle is and revealed this cable. Can someone confirm this is the bonnet cable ?
No joy on googling that number though, but rubber grommet looks like what's on the ones for sale online.

Is it broken on the handle end? Then wise grips on the end of the wire might do it w(o poking about in theengine bay.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No joy on googling that number though, but rubber grommet looks like what's on the ones for sale online.

Is it broken on the handle end? Then wise grips on the end of the wire might do it w(o poking about in theengine bay.
proper ball-acke this, I can follow the cable from the rubber gromit back towards the handle but it's like stuck behind the glove box fuse box and its wont pull back out from behind the fuse box. I've a feeling it's attached to the handle and the cables knackered at the latch end or worse the bonnet lock-latch is knackered, driving me up the wall this.
I've got the wheel off but I don't want to be removing the arch liner clips as I've non spare and they seem brittle as hell.

·
Registered
870 Posts
if she had her car here i would check best way but wont get it til tommorow.

dont worry about breaking clips just prize the middle bits out and wiggle the whole body out, broken ones are very cheap on ebay, but not sure if it will help.

cant you grab the inner wire and give it a yank?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I managed to get to the root of the problem, a knackered bonnet release lever, It was cracked and the spring had gone and only God knows were thats headed off to

When I pulled the trim away I freed the cable from the handle I release the cable like you do on a bikes brakes and gave it a tug and up it popped so the cables itselfs fine,
Question, without the handle just the cable is this an MOT fail ?. It's due Weds for a MOT and I'm pushed for time to pick a spare in time from the scrappers

·
Registered
441 Posts
I managed to get to the root of the problem, a knackered bonnet release lever, It was cracked and the spring had gone and only God knows were thats headed off to

When I pulled the trim away I freed the cable from the handle I release the cable like you do on a bikes brakes and gave it a tug and up it popped so the cables itselfs fine,
Question, without the handle just the cable is this an MOT fail ?. It's due Weds for a MOT and I'm pushed for time to pick a spare in time from the scrappers
Don't think it would be on our (Swedish) equivalent, as long as it opens and the mechanism has the security catch to prevent the bonnet from flying up in working order... I believe those are the only criteria.
I'd carve a bit of wood or plastic to go round the wire and with an indent for the ferrule, so it is on there reasonably securely and is easily gripped as a pull handle. Or maybe grab some
(low temp plastic), and and form a pull around the ferrule, as I have some of that on hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll ask the garage double make sure but I will have to get a new one or epoxy resin up the old one as it's behind the trim anyway. I suppose as long as it works that's the main thing.

I know one thing, when it goes it's one utter ball acke to suss out as info is thin on the ground.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got to the brunt of the bonnet lever problem, the spring had come off making the cable that attaches to the back of the lever come out it's slot on the handle hence no tension on the cable.
I pulled all the trim away that surrounds the lever and unbolted the handle mount from the side of the car and refixed the spring clip into place. But before I pushed the lever with the spring back into the mount I pushed the wire cable through the back of the mount. This way once the handles back in the mount you can push the end of the cable back into it's slot at the back of the handle.

here's the culprit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts