Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Motorhome based on a boxer (2008). This morning I found the battery was flat. I could only access the cab with the key as the passenger door was deadlocked and the central locking wouldn't work. The radio was left on 2 weeks ago so has drained the battery.

I connected a battery charger directly to the battery terminals and heard a clicking sound from behind dashboard (I also noticed the clock digital clock lit, good sign). Concerned what the noise was I disconnected the charger and then reconnected. This time everything was dead. Not even a spark when connecting the charger.

So I'm thinking maybe the main fuse has gone so I need to lift the bonnet but as I cant open the passenger door to pull the catch I'm stuck as to what to do??

Any ideas please.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I have a Motorhome based on a boxer (2008). This morning I found the battery was flat. I could only access the cab with the key as the passenger door was deadlocked and the central locking wouldn't work. The radio was left on 2 weeks ago so has drained the battery.

I connected a battery charger directly to the battery terminals and heard a clicking sound from behind dashboard (I also noticed the clock digital clock lit, good sign). Concerned what the noise was I disconnected the charger and then reconnected. This time everything was dead. Not even a spark when connecting the charger.

So I'm thinking maybe the main fuse has gone so I need to lift the bonnet but as I cant open the passenger door to pull the catch I'm stuck as to what to do??

Any ideas please.
you should never connect a battery charger to a battery when it is still attached to a vehicle as it can damage the vehicle

are you sure the battery charger fuse has not blown there should be a fuse in plug and a fuse on the 12v output

can the bonnet catch not be pulled with the door shut?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thanks for the reply.

Dealer said its ok to connect the charger to the battery terminals as long as I don't use the ignition.

The battery charger is ok I've checked it out.

No I can't get to the bonnet catch as it behind the passenger door!! On a left hand drive vehicle it would be the driver door and have key access!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Hi Thanks for the reply.

Dealer said its ok to connect the charger to the battery terminals as long as I don't use the ignition.

The battery charger is ok I've checked it out.

No I can't get to the bonnet catch as it behind the passenger door!! On a left hand drive vehicle it would be the driver door and have key access!
the dealer is wrong as it can damage electrics.

is there no key hole on the passenger side? does the handle on the inside not do anything?

you could take door card off and power the actuator to unlock the door, or you could try get to the cable for the bonnet catch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi TM,

What damage can a battery charger cause if not isolated from the vehicle?

Powering the actuator seems a good option if necessary.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Not all the electronics are isolated when the ignition is switched off. You would have to study the circuit diagrams to discern which are still live.

Cheap mains-powered battery chargers have starting spikes and mains-frequency spikes on their output which do no harm to batteries, but can affect electronics. Higher quality changers do not have the spikes.

I use this one and have had no problems charging the battery without disconnecting. I would mistrust any charger in a molded plastic case with the handle molded-in, or any sold for less than (say) £30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts