Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am after a decent bluetooth car kit for my 307, i have looked at the parrot systems and think they look pretty good, i like the 5 handset link feature.
Ideally i would like:-

colour screen - but this is not a neccessity
Small screen
Dont need a cradle
Must mute the radio

This is my second question - how difficult is it to install in a pug 307??

any help you can give me would be fantastic,

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Listen carefully, I shall say this only once...

Actually, as many times as it takes to get the message across. I had a Parrot in my Altea. It was crap. When I bought it everyone spouted on about how they were the market leaders and they were really good and they were far better than anything else on the market and everyone should have one and yada yada...

So I bought one, and it's pants. Didn't connect to the wifes Samsung S8000 at all, didn't connect to my Nokia N78 without dropping out all the time, only connected to my Nokia 6234 out of all the phones we use, and then when someone called me the blasted Parrot turned itself off. Completely useless. So I just this week took it out and replaced it with a Bury CC9060 kit. Far better.

The CC9060 has touch screen so no turning dials and suchlike. It also has voice dialling which works faultlessly. Just tap the screen and say "Dial [the name you have stored in your phones memory]" and it dials it without fail so far. You can also tap the screen and speak a number and it calls that for you.

Installation of both the parrot and the Bury is more or less the same. I also fitted one in my Peugeot Partner van, and it's literally plug and play for the main unit. You do need to pick up an ignition switched live though from the fuse box or somewhere, rather than using the ignition sense at the stereo as the car will (most likely) use VAN Bus wiring and the stereo / handsfree kit will go live when you unlock the doors rather than when you put the ignition on. If you need further explanation I'll tell you why.

But please, while you have a hole in your arse, don't buy a Parrot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just been and checked, and the place I bought my 2 from are no longer selling them (maybe sold out). I paid £99 each plus delivery, and they're now on the web elsewhere at ranging from £110 to way up there with free fitting. I got them from a seller on Amazon, but like I say no more stock showing there at the price I paid.

Edit: there's also the CC9060 Crystal which is cheaper than the standard CC9060. Functionally they're both the same but the Crystal has a smaller screen so you need to navigate a bit more to get to other functions. The standard has four sections on the touch screen for various commands while the Crystal has only two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That one looks a lot better, ill take your advice and stay away from the parrot, really i wanted to spend about £100 but cant find them anywhere, it does look like a good unit.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would you say it is to fit?

My main worry is linking into the radio to mute it, i am sure it wont be too big a problem though, Cheers

G

·
I use olde Nokia CK7Ws in both of mine. Cheap, basic, but very effective and dependable. No screens etc, but all I want is to be able to press a button and hold a conversation when someone phones me - if it's someone I don't like, the words "sod off" followed by cutting them off is usually a working solution.

Mute isn't an issue either, as dabbing both volume controls on the stalk simultaneously instantly mutes the radio if I don't want my caller to listen to System of a Down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agree with the Nokia CK7W kits being good. I had one in my old van and it was fine, but I never knew who was calling and that meant either answering or leaving it and taking a punt. With the new one I can see who's calling and decide if I need to answer or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thegman said:
That one looks a lot better, ill take your advice and stay away from the parrot, really i wanted to spend about £100 but cant find them anywhere, it does look like a good unit.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would you say it is to fit?

My main worry is linking into the radio to mute it, i am sure it wont be too big a problem though, Cheers
I got mine from a seller on Amazon. Currently they're retailing about £118 or so everywhere, but there's one place selling them for £110 (maybe plus delivery).

As for linking into the radio, the phone kit comes with ISO plugs on it and you literally disconnect the car wiring plugs from the stereo, plug the phone kit in where you just disconnected those, then connect the car wiring into the other half of the phone kit. It then mutes the radio and plays the phone conversation through the car speakers.

In the event that your car has the newer style Quadlock connector on the rear of the stereo, then you can buy an adaptor lead for about £15 to convert your car to suit the handsfree kit. Autoleads make 'em.

Edit: These are ISO connectors...

And this is a Quadlock connector...

And you'd need something like this to connect the two different types...

G

·
If it rings, just answer it - you really have better things to be looking at on the move than a mobile phone kit display. If you don't like them, ferk them off - it's YOUR car fer chrissakes!

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's my business, not just a call. I want to know if it's a call I need to take before I answer it, otherwise I don't answer. If it's the wife, a name in my business listing, or a customer I'm waiting for a call from then I'll probably answer. If it's just a number or a mate then I prefer to drive and catch up with them later. They can always leave a message if I don't answer.

A split second glance at the screen and not answering is much better (in my view) that answering a call needlessly and talking handsfree when I could be safer with full attention on the road. Hence the reason I went for the larger display as it's easier to glance at and see the caller details. Also the same reason I bought sat navs with widescreen display.

Then again, I don't need to explain myself really...

G

·
No, absolutely you dont!

T'is proven though, the intellectual distraction of holding a conversation, be it with a passenger, or a pizza company, as bad as that may be interferes with visual tasking less than physically removing your eyes to view a display - following a 'glance' at a display, it takes 3 to 4 seconds for your eye and brain to fully reacquire the outside environment.

If you want a flash kit just because you like shiny toys, that's a good enough argument for me - just don't kid yourself that it's safer.

PS, my sat nav tells me what to do, and warns me well in advance without even having to look at it with a very hand voice command thingy, and I don't think it's an especially flash one. I wouldn't read a map while driving, and I wouldn't read a map just because it happens to be on the screen of a sat nav for the same reason.

PPS - The automute function depends on which head unit thegman has. Early RD4s, for example, won't work with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
has anyone ever bought from the car audio giant? One of the cheapest when looking thorugh google, they have it for 110 plus 10 postage? Amazon are 120 plus 10 at min?

There is one on e bay but i dont see the point of buying a second hand one for £70 plus when you get a new one for a few £ more??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you should listen to everything Chopper tells you. He's obviously a smart arse and knows everything about what you should be doing with your life, and probably knows the correct colour for your kitchen walls to be painted aswell.

Sorry I can't help any further. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I use a new jabra earpiece with my iphone and when i`m not looking at my iphone or my tomtom or my radio i just look out my window to see where i`m going.:angrydriv

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know what you all mean but still i want the one vikiing has said about, i am a bit of a gadet fellow and what it does is awesome so that is the one - unless someone can tell me one that does the same but is cheaper??

Anyone know on the radio - Chopper - i think i will be alright with my car bein a 2004, it has the split 5 dick changer in dash and then the radio above??

Still looking for a cheaper one, i wantt o get it around £100 so will keep an eye on everything :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
couldnt wait much longer, have ordered it, ill do a little bit of info on fitting to see if it helps others when i get it, cost £110 plus plstage but 12 months warrenty so i am happy, halfords wanted £180!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not happy!!! it turned up, looks great, plugs stright into my radio no problem, the problems are:

wont stay illuminated on day setting and cant see screen
worse of all - cant hear anyone very well and they cant hear me! it is on max volume with the phone also o fll, changed all possible settings, still crap so it is going back on monday!

can anyone uggest another one? ill have a look a the other one mentioned above!

cheers, mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts