Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just had the new to me 308 SW Allure Blue Hdi 120 and love the car, but very disappointed with the economy. Far worse than the previous 1.6 HDi 90 in the 308 SW.
Then I noticed the engine temperature never goes above 78 degrees. this seem very low to me, as the last one always sat around the 90 mark.

Does anyone know what temperature thermostat should be fitted?

As soon as I can get a chance I'll check that temperature with a proper digital thermometer, just to make sure the gauge is about right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So just had the new to me 308 SW Allure Blue Hdi 120 and love the car, but very disappointed with the economy. Far worse than the previous 1.6 HDi 90 in the 308 SW.
Then I noticed the engine temperature never goes above 78 degrees. this seem very low to me, as the last one always sat around the 90 mark.

Does anyone know what temperature thermostat should be fitted?

As soon as I can get a chance I'll check that temperature with a proper digital thermometer, just to make sure the gauge is about right.
Temperature is pretty much the same as mine but what to you mean when you say worse than your previous 308sw on economy?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the manufacturer's claimed economy is not attainable in the real world, but my 2010 308 SW HDi 90 had an overall fuel consumption figure of 60 odd mpg (sorry I can only refer to UK units) and I regularly averaged about 56mpg over the 2 years I had it.
Driving in a similar manner with the Blue HDi Allure SW which has a factory figure of more than 80mpg, all I get is just over 50 mpg. And this is on the trip, the amount of fuel put in over distance would suggest it's even worse.

On my old 307 SW 2.0l I used to use 1 litre of fuel for every 10 miles which works out at 45 mpg, on the 308 1.6l I was getting well over 10 miles to each litre. On this one it's less.
The new 308 is a touch lighter, and more aerodynamic, so ought to be better.

On checking the thermostat should be set to open at 83 degrees, so I must check the actual temperature more accurately, as it ought to be at least that.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know this must be he coolest running engine ever.

It takes several miles to get up to temperature, but there is no heat in the rad, so the thermostat isn't sticking open.

Checking with a digital probe suggested that the engine was actually cooler (about 5 degrees), but that might have been because I couldn't get the probe on the hottest part of the head.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know the manufacturer's claimed economy is not attainable in the real world, but my 2010 308 SW HDi 90 had an overall fuel consumption figure of 60 odd mpg (sorry I can only refer to UK units) and I regularly averaged about 56mpg over the 2 years I had it.
Driving in a similar manner with the Blue HDi Allure SW which has a factory figure of more than 80mpg, all I get is just over 50 mpg. And this is on the trip, the amount of fuel put in over distance would suggest it's even worse.

On my old 307 SW 2.0l I used to use 1 litre of fuel for every 10 miles which works out at 45 mpg, on the 308 1.6l I was getting well over 10 miles to each litre. On this one it's less.
The new 308 is a touch lighter, and more aerodynamic, so ought to be better.

On checking the thermostat should be set to open at 83 degrees, so I must check the actual temperature more accurately, as it ought to be at least that.
My old 2011 plate was poor for mpg only getting around 40 but over the moon with what I'm getting now. I'm doing 115 miles a day and the stats in the image are from the 1st of this month to now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2010 308 was getting those figures, almost. I was expecting this one to be a little better.

Just found out today it has to go in for a recall on the Adblue tank wiring. They will check it out when it goes in.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well dealer said there was nothing amiss, doubt they even looked.

But Unbeatable Cars where I bought it had replaced the front tyres (at 12k miles) with some cheap Chinese ones rated E on the new Euro scale for rolling resistance. So that might be a part of the higher consumption.

According to the fuel economy checker now on the Peugeot website which is supposed to give real life results, I ought to be getting nearer 60 mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did two 100 mile runs over the weekend almost all on motorways, bit stop start on the way, but route home was clear, cruised at 70mph most of the lime.
Averaged 60 mpg on the way out, and including the return got 62 overall. So it's getting better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did two 100 mile runs over the weekend almost all on motorways, bit stop start on the way, but route home was clear, cruised at 70mph most of the lime.
Averaged 60 mpg on the way out, and including the return got 62 overall. So it's getting better.
Hi Brilec. Hope you don't mind me reviving this thread. Do you still have this car? or even of you don't, do you remember what you long term mpg was?

I've just purchased 2015 308sw 1.6 Blue HDi (120). I was expecting to be getting around 55mpg based on the Honest John real world mpg figures and I used to get 56mpg out my my 2.0tdi Seat Leon.

I've done brim to brim calculations on my last few tanks and I'm getting 44mpg overall. That's mixed driving, 2/3 motorway, 1/3 city.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, still got it. MPG is currently around the 55/56 area on a long run. Can't check at the moment as only been doing short runs for the last couple of weeks.
MPG went down suddenly about the same time that the rear tyres were replaced. It was doing over 60 before.
I don't do inner city driving, and the high figures were on long motorway (or Autoroute) runs keeping roughly to the national speed limit.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
FWIW: I'm currently getting 45.1 mpg average from my petrol powered Puretech 130.

Mostly short journeys of less then 10 miles & I dont hang about either.

On a longer journey it's easily returning 53 / 54 mpg average.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.