Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out which it is heres the info first of all 2002 Peugeot 307 2 Litre Diesel HDi 110

My dad gave me his Peugeot 307 as it broke down 2 years ago and was diagnosed with a blown turbo and as he got a run around but now has a new car he gave me it if I wanted to get it fixed.

The first garage he brought it to told him that the pistons were f***** in the engine and the turbo was blown hence why he got a new car. I told him the car wouldn't run if the pistons were f*****.

I got a mobile mechanic out but stupidly before he had a look over it let slip that he was told it was the pistons and turbo but the mechanic said it was only the turbo.

After watching videos on YouTube of blown turbos I'm starting to wonder is it actually that heres the symptoms:

White smoke wit a very light blue tint.
Only smokes when revved.
Underpowered.
Liquid leaking from exhaust.

There is no noise from the engine bay thou? Any Ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
White smoke = steam = blown head gasket = water in exhaust.

Check the coolant level.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
White smoke = steam = blown head gasket = water in exhaust.

Check the coolant level.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel
Blue smoke is the oil yea?
It has a very light blue tint but there's a sweet smell coming through the aircon which i'm assuming is coolant? Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Blue tinge - probably to do with the fact that your mixing water and diesel and then trying to burn it.

Sweet smell - yes I'd agree coolant.

All pointing towards a coolant leak somewhere along the line - head gasket -whats the coolant level like?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue tinge - probably to do with the fact that your mixing water and diesel and then trying to burn it.

Sweet smell - yes I'd agree coolant.

All pointing towards a coolant leak somewhere along the line - head gasket -whats the coolant level like?
To be honest I'm not entirely sure I will have a look today and let you know thanks :)

J

·
0 Posts
Have you checked for oil in water and vice versa?

And hopefully all this has nothing to do with the additive

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have you checked for oil in water and vice versa?

And hopefully all this has nothing to do with the additive
Do you mean check for oil in the tank that the coolant goes into? I've checked the dipstick and there doesn't seem to be any water in it but the coolant kind of did look like it had water or something when I checked it the other day. In there any way I can properly check it or is it just by eye? Thanks

Edit: Forgot to mention the car is also rough when idle I don't know if this is cause it's a diesel or not though

J

·
0 Posts
Diesels are generally rougher than petrols, however, if it sounds rough to you then it probably isn't idling as smooth as it should.

Can you not take the oil cap off and shine a torch in to check if the oil is ok? if there's water or it looks strange (IE not a solid colour) then maybe water is getting in with the oil. open up the water cap (for radiator etc.) and check for oil floating about there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could get a 'sniffer' test on it, which is a combustion gas leak detection fluid. Under the presence of combustion gases in the coolant, the fluid changes colour. Most garages will have the equipment.

You say that you have had the car looked at, did anybody carry out a compression check? Or test the boost pressure?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Diesels are generally rougher than petrols, however, if it sounds rough to you then it probably isn't idling as smooth as it should.

Can you not take the oil cap off and shine a torch in to check if the oil is ok? if there's water or it looks strange (IE not a solid colour) then maybe water is getting in with the oil. open up the water cap (for radiator etc.) and check for oil floating about there.
I had a look just there in the oil cap but I couldn't see that far down and I looked in the coolant and it looks like there could defo be oil in it I'll post pics tomorrow I'm going to upload a video to YouTube now of the car starting I think if there turbo was gone there'd be more smoke that this I'll link it in the next message thanks.

You could get a 'sniffer' test on it, which is a combustion gas leak detection fluid. Under the presence of combustion gases in the coolant, the fluid changes colour. Most garages will have the equipment.

You say that you have had the car looked at, did anybody carry out a compression check? Or test the boost pressure?

Cheers,

Mark
When I got the mobile mechanic out to check it I know for a fact he didn't do a compression check or boost pressure. When I da got it checked the first time to be honest I'm not entirely 100% sure Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really hope this works if it doesn't I'll try again!
This is the car starting up surely if the turbo was blown the smoke would fly out on start up or am I wrong? Sorry for the crap skinny video its from my iPhone 4.

·
Registered
117 Posts
completely off the main topic but just a tip for next time...if you hold your phone in the landscape orientation you'll get a better video :)

Not that it's easy to tell but anyone else reckon that could be steam as suggested by clanless?!

·
Registered
673 Posts
completely off the main topic but just a tip for next time...if you hold your phone in the landscape orientation you'll get a better video :)

Not that it's easy to tell but anyone else reckon that could be steam as suggested by clanless?!
looks like water (steam) to me......:thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Might of been off topic but thanks for the tip! I think it is steam myself

looks like water (steam) to me......:thumb:
So if it is water (steam) that'd be a problem with the head gasket? I'm probably completely wrong ha.

Not necessarily.
I thought it would I've no experience with blown turbos though I only know from YouTube videos!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the car run up to temperature, fan cutting in and out? Or is it overheating? Does the steam clear from the exhaust once the engine is warm?

The start up smoke in the video could be due to the fact that the car is cold, and is by no means conclusive.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
673 Posts
so if it is water (steam) that'd be a problem with the head gasket? I'm probably completely wrong ha.
i would have a compression test done on the cylinders to find out if the head gasket is holding...also someone already said i think that you can add some juice to the coolant which changes colour or something when theres a presence of the wrong gases....This would be my first port of call....well apart from diag....:thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the car run up to temperature, fan cutting in and out? Or is it overheating? Does the steam clear from the exhaust once the engine is warm?

The start up smoke in the video could be due to the fact that the car is cold, and is by no means conclusive.

Cheers,

When I rev the car smoke more smoke comes out I'll make another video of that today and upload it.

Mark
i would have a compression test done on the cylinders to find out if the head gasket is holding...also someone already said i think that you can add some juice to the coolant which changes colour or something when theres a presence of the wrong gases....This would be my first port of call....well apart from diag....:thumb:
I dunno might just get it dropped down to the local garage where my dad is getting work done on his car maybe they'll tell me the truth! Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went out there to make the video and I've a bit of an update.

There is a load of smoke coming out its white with a blue tint and someone said that was Diesel burning. A lot of liquid came out the exhaust and I wiped it up and smelt it and it smelled like Diesel so I think I am burning Diesel what does that mean? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts