Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone be able to point me in the right direction please as my Peugeot 806 1.9 TDi 1999 is not running well at all.

I fitted e replacement engine with 35000 miles and at the same time replaced the head gasket which went well.

Problems started some months later after a 130 mile trip to Gatwick where I left the car in carpark for several days. On returning I had to jump start the engine with lots of smoke and sputtering. Arrived home and checked glow plugs the next day and discovered one had a broken tip (approx 15mm long missing) that had gone somewhere - presumably in the cylinder and got mashed up.
Not too long after this the coolant needed constantly topping up (1ltr after 15 mile trip) and there are signs under bonnet of coolant coming out of filler cap overflow. I let the engine cool down overnight and then upon removing filler cap I find there is still pressure in cooling system.
On starting the engine (fires up first time) there is a lot of smoke blowing from exhaust which smells like unburnt diesel but not so sure and a lot of steam too.
Seems to use a half ltr of oil every 400miles. Small traces of oil can be seen in air filter and appears to come from oil sump vent pipe connected to air filter. Turbo can be heard spinning after shutting down engine and sounds sweet (refurbished Garrett T2).

Apart from all that the engine is responsive and there no signs of smoke when running at normal temperature.

Would anyone be able to say what the problems are as I need to decide whether to scrap or repair. Would 'Blue Devil gasket repair fluid' sort the problem gasket problem?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply - it was a gasket with metal edge around cylinder holes. I fitted it correctly tightening bolts in correct order unto 220deg.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All this smoke/steam problem started after the glow plug broke/snapped. I suppose my query boils down to whether the coolant leak can be fixed using 'Blue Devil gasket repair fluid' or other similar product. I wouldn't look forward to replacing the head gasket as I have no garage - maintenance is done on the road side. Thee last time I did this was during the warmer months.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If I was to lose a 15mm metal part of a glow plug into the cylinder then a full strip is priority before running it again?? (but thats just me)
you must replace the head bolts as new ones are needed for the stretch on the 220deg torque in final sequence.
Its sounding like gasket problems but you don't know what that bit of metal has done?

Go back to first step and strip the head off again and then things might fall into place.

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Sounds like he did NOT use a multi layer gasket and i recon gasket has gone again BUT the glowplug may have damaged the head causing the pressure either way the head is coming off :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
After re-reading....yes I missed that part, it wasn't a metal one...duh!!
I had to do mine twice, they were metal and a right nuisance.

But one thing is a sure bet...it's coming off :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bloody hell - something for me to look forward to this coming summer (not). What surprises me is that the coolant system is still pressurised when checked the next day. If there was a hole in the gasket I wonder how would this be so?

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Its not a hole in the gasket the gasket is fine its the seal of the gasket between the head and the block OR the head is damaged by the glowplug and compression pressure is getting into the coolant circuit when engine is running the fact the pressure does not release means its not a bad leak yet so i recon its the gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts