Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. After blowing a head-gasket on a Peugeot 306, since the aluminum head was fairly pitted, I got an identical one from a breakers which was in much better condition, had it professionally skimmed, fitted it, and also replaced the head-gasket. I immediately noticed that there seemed to be more water-vapor coming from the exhaust than normal. Sure enough, after long drives, the water falls appreciably in the radiator. I suspected the new head-gasket was defective so fitted another - same problem! It definitely is not the head or head-gasket so where is the water escaping from? A mechanic suggested it could be a cracked piston-liner but when I had the head off the second time, a close visual inspection couldn't see anything wrong.

Apart from the noticeable (but not excessive) steam from the exhaust, and which also seems to start & stop, the car drives perfectly, never overheating. But like I said, the water has to be constantly topped-up. This never happened before the head-gasket blew.

Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of anyone that has?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was the replacement head crack tested?
Could coolant issues be why it was in the breakers in the first place?
Genuine Peugeot gasket or A.N.Other?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
If it didn't happen before but is happening now then the only logical explanation is that whatever has been done to it in-between is the culprit.

Is the block face OK ?
Even though the head has been skimmed, is it slightly warped ?
Were the head bolts tightened in the correct sequence to the correct torque ?

Don't know about the 306 but the 307 has a stage 1 torque, a stage 2 torque and finally an angle setting to correctly refit a cylinder head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts