Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just changed the fuel filter on my 207 SHDi 1.4 Diesel (2008).

Have been pressing the priming bulb for what seems like hours, but can't get the air out and the fuel in !!
Have got various bits of kit so could either :
1. Suck fuel through the system to get rid of the air.
2. Use a syringe-type thing to pump fuel manually into the system to get rid of the air.

In hindsight, I should probably have filled the new filter with diesel before putting it back, but I didn't. I guess that's a third option.

So .......... what's the best "plan B" and can anyone confirm which is the inlet and outlet sides of the filter - I assume the connector on the back partly under the air filter housing is the inlet from the tank, and the front connector is the outlet to the high-pressure pump and rail, but it's difficult to see down there.

All advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I doubt you can get the pipes wrong just remove the inlet pipe from the filter then prime the bulb till you get fuel if you dont get fuel then it may be a faulty primer.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
if your priming bulb does not get hard then you have an air leak, check the fuel lines under the air filter housing as it is common to get damaged there

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
reliable406 & trustme - thanks for that.
I guess it could be a problem with the fuel lines, but everything was 100% OK before I did the filter so no reasons to suspect any damage unless I just did it !!
Do you know which way fuel flows through the filter (is back pipe inlet and front outlet or other way round) and is the priming bulb before or after the filter - am I sucking fuel through the filter when I squeeze it ?

Haynes isn't much use when it comes to understanding how the low-pressure side of the system works.

I just removed the filter, filled it up with diesel, and put it back but still the same problem. 5 minutes squeezing the bulb, and no appreciable difference - still soft !! (Please .........No jokes about asking the wife to try.)

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
reliable406 & trustme - thanks for that.
I guess it could be a problem with the fuel lines, but everything was 100% OK before I did the filter so no reasons to suspect any damage unless I just did it !!
Do you know which way fuel flows through the filter (is back pipe inlet and front outlet or other way round) and is the priming bulb before or after the filter - am I sucking fuel through the filter when I squeeze it ?

Haynes isn't much use when it comes to understanding how the low-pressure side of the system works.

I just removed the filter, filled it up with diesel, and put it back but still the same problem. 5 minutes squeezing the bulb, and no appreciable difference - still soft !! (Please .........No jokes about asking the wife to try.)
check the pipes are connect properly on filter and if its a sealed filer then that means you moved the pipes that could have just finished off a split

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Yes - It is a sealed unit and the pipes are properly connected and pushed on till the collar "locks" around the lip.
before I admit defeat and call the garage, I would like to suck fuel through the filter just to rule out any air before that. I have a vacuum pump so is the "outlet" of the filter at the front or the back please.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should the transparent pipe (with the green clip) be full of fuel ? - as far as I can see, it's not.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
yes it should be full of fuel like i already said you have an air leak somewhere on a fuel line

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trustme - thanks. Please don't think I'm not grateful for your knowledge and experience, but before I start a fairly major dismantling job, I would just like to try and rule out any other possibilities (e.g. faulty one-way valve in the priming bulb.)
I have a suction pump - is there a point at the end of the low-pressure circuit where I could connect it to see if fuel, air, or both, get pulled through.
Is that transparent pipe a suitable place, and if so, how do you disconnect those clips - again - Haynes is as much use as a chocolate teapot !

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
you wont really be able to do as you are suggesting main reason is the way its all connected you wont get a good connection anywhere !

Best place to suck fuel through would be at pump inlet but its buried down the back of the engine !

Disconnect the inlet at the filter housing and apply suction there it should pull fuel from the tank this should then allow the primer to prime.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Resolved.

I disconnected the green/clear tube connector and put my vacuum pump on the pipe "stub". Lots of air initially, then this pulled enough fuel through the system to sort-of prime the bulb - another couple of minutes of squeezing and I had fuel and no air in the transparent pipe.
Car started OK, and after a bit of faltering, settled down and everything now seems to be back to normal.
I also had code P1113 which I cancelled, and which hasn't come back.

I think it's probably my fault for trying to start the engine before the system had been properly bled and primed - it ran for 30 seconds or so then stalled. So - there would have been no fuel at all in the pipes to and from the high pressure pump and therefore it wasn't possible to bleed the system with "just" the priming bulb squeezy thing.
I'm not ruling out the possibility of a small crack or split in one of the pipes - but so far "touch wood" - it's all good.
Thanks for the advice and help - it all adds to the "knowledge base".

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, Just seen this post and thought Id add to the confusion :) I replaced fuel filter on my 307 1.6 hdi at weekend and had same symptoms. Car started for 30 seconds afterwards and cut out. I then squeezed the primer pump for an age to no avail. I went away for a while to think about it and decided it may be down to the key position as I recall it sprays some fuel when key is turned on.
I turned the key to the dash lights on position (just before cranking action). I then tried squeezng priming pump and it filled up no problem. It doesnt mention anything about key position in haynes but it worked for me.
Could this have been the problem ?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You MUST prime the primer till the bulb is hard after changing filters on these BEFORE starting this is where people are going wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know enough to be sure, but I think there's an electric pump in the tank on the 307 which will "force" fuel into the system, but the 207 depends entirely on suction from the engine-mounted pump to get the diesel from the back to the front, which means it can be more difficult to prime the system after a filter change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts