Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.6HDi from 2009 with approx 152,000km on it. In addition to it making some high pitched noises that could be related to the auxiliary belt, it's now got black smoke coming from the exhaust. There are no error codes being thrown.

Turbo is in top shape. No other symptoms such as loss of power or anything, just a sooty exhaust pipe that has always been sparkling clean. If I put a camera on the back of the car, I can see puffs of black when I rev it.

Must have started about a week ago but I can't place any incident and nothing went amiss.

I would have thought that the DPF would have blocked any soot from coming out the exhaust pipe.

Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is the DPF definetely still intact?

If it's smoking with a DPF fitted then there is a serious problem as the DPF is supposed to catch it all, basically there's so much smoke it's getting through.

You say it's running normally, but is peak power still there? Sounds like you may have a large boost leak, or an EGR problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

The car is stock, never modified. I am assuming the DPF is intact, but I haven't had it taken apart or gone to the garage yet as this issue just started.

As I said, there are no warning lights or anything. Car seems to run completely normally and I don't notice any decrease in power.

I checked my service intervals last night, looks like the air filter is overdue. I suppose that could lead to over-fuelling, but I am still surprised that there is soot getting by the DPF.

Are the DPF's known to break internally at all? Is that even a possibility of some kind? Would there be any symptoms related to that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I opened up the air filter box, it was filthy and full of dead bugs. The filter medium was very black. I live in an agricultural area. Service records indicate the last filter change was about 50,000km ago (the car is a Mini with the PSA 1.6HDi 110 engine and BMW recommends air filter changes every third oil change which are usually 50/60,000km intervals).

I emptied the debris and vacuumed the filter, haven't run the car yet, but will report back.

Also, I notice a high pitch noise when the car is started from cold that disappears after a few minutes of running. Well, I can recreate the noise by pushing on the tailpipe. Could the high pitch noise be an exhaust leak? Could this also be related to the black soot?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts