Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get black badges front and back please ....thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Anybody know where I can get this done in the SE? I'd want them to match my wheels as they are now (I think Vauxhall Graphite Grey) or EZR Aluminium Silver (Pug colour). Is that even possible or am I getting a rattle can from Halfords? :rolleyes:

Live in Colchester, work in Basildon so a pretty big area to choose from.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Old post I know, but I see these painted badges around and often done badly resulting in a messy and flaky outcome.

My advice is to get to someone who knows about detail painting in particular. There's a lot of preparation needed to ensure good paint adhesion so expect to pay for a couple of hours work. As an example, if I were to charge for painting my own Grille badge, 'Peugeot' logo and the '307cc' bit I'd be looking at circa £100 + materials for first class results, others would want more for sure.

Plastic badges are easier than metal ones in respect to providing a paint key, the latter needs nasty roughing for anything to stick to it, or preferably de-chroming.

The painter needs to know about very low volume close spraying with larger airbrushes or small touch-in spray guns, this is the only way to get an even surface over the complex shapes on the small elements of badges without drenching things and making them look chunky.

Yes you could do it with aerosols, but use quality ones and stick to one system, especially for metallics. At your risk, put cans in hand hot water for 15 minutes or so before use if painting in mild or cold conditions, this lowers the viscosity and increases the pressure resulting in finer atomisation of the spray, but it also reduces drying time so keep a wet edge and don't drift over just applied paint. None of that should be done until the part is suitably abraded.

For the very best finish a sprayer would make the edges and sides of the badge the last pass of the spray using low flash or slow thinners. On complex shapes this ensures the flow out of paint on the difficult to work on parts, leaving any overspray or otherwise less than ideal surfaces out on the open faces of the badge. This allows the accessible faces to be flatted and polished for a true all over glass finish. It's intuitive to think that the application care for glossing should be done on the front faces, but this leaves sides and some contours at risk of drift leaving matt'ish surfaces which would just be a serious pain to recover by polishing.

It really all depends on what you expect, if you want a 'stand-off' look that's OK to a passing viewer then have a go. If you want a finish that truly enhances the car's look for you in detail then expect a great deal of work, or be prepared to pay a bit for a pro to do it. If you want to be able to rub your car wash sponge over it confidently, let alone what the road throws at it, getting over the bonding to a currently chromed surface is the key, if you'll excuse the pun :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts