Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
New to this forum and waiting for my peugeot 3008 and i would appreciate any advise regarding a rear mounted bike carrier or even the best bike carrier that fits the new 3008 as i cant find one anywhere.
cheers moggyno1

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I might be wrong, but I seem to recall being told the 3008 can't take a rear mounted bike carrier. If not, it's roof mounted, or inside the car.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Peugeot only do a roof mounted carrier for the new 3008. I think it may be something to do with the tailgate being too lightweight for a rear carrier. I would definitely check with the dealer before buying.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi
New to this forum and waiting for my peugeot 3008 and i would appreciate any advise regarding a rear mounted bike carrier or even the best bike carrier that fits the new 3008 as i cant find one anywhere.
cheers moggyno1
In terms of the best way to carry a bike it would go in this order

1. Tow bar mounted carrier (uses less fuel)
2. Roof mounted carrier (more fuel used than rear mounted but more secure in terms of safety and security)
3. Rear mounted carrier (cheapest option but the least secure and scratches paintwork)

I've gone with roof bars and the Thule proride 598

I've had rear mounted carriers in the past and I was constantly pulling over to check/tighten the straps. You also can't leave you car unattended whereas on the roof it's that much more difficult to get at and the Thule 598 locks the frame to the carrier.

If I had to go for a rear mounted carrier it would be the Saris Bones 3.

3008 1.2 Man GT Line Pearl White (40.2mpg)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bike carrier

Thanks for the great replys from you all and i will post what i decide on or can find. didnt really fancy using a roof mounted one due to helth reasons but like the look of the thule rear carrier but you have given me some great answers.
Cheers moggyno1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the great replys from you all and i will post what i decide on or can find. didnt really fancy using a roof mounted one due to helth reasons but like the look of the thule rear carrier but you have given me some great answers.
Cheers moggyno1

Ive just read on page 75 of the manual "The tailgate is not designed to take a bicycle carrier". Oh dear I was thinking of buying one. I'm sure I saw on a youtube video that the boot is plastic, is this right???

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ive just read on page 75 of the manual "The tailgate is not designed to take a bicycle carrier". Oh dear I was thinking of buying one. I'm sure I saw on a youtube video that the boot is plastic, is this right???
Trying to fix a magnetic GB plate confirms this is the case!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Towbar Bike rack

I have a GT which since June 2017. It was factory fitted with a towbar which I needed for caravan towing. I recently bought a towball mounted bike rack from Halfords (Exodus 3 Bike Towbar Mounted Cycle Carrier £69). So easy to fit and really handy as you can keep it in the boot. I haven't had any issues with the boot - although I have switched off the waving foot opening since I got the car as the towbar is in the way and it hurts my shins!:lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking for a bike carrier too. I have the GT and it states in the manual that the motorised tailgate is not designed to support a bicycle carrier.

I don't know if it means that we can't operare the door with the carrier installed (which is fine by me, the door will remain closed at all times) or that there are issues even by having the carrier installed.

Has anyone with a motorized tailgate tried it?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking for a bike carrier too. I have the GT and it states in the manual that the motorised tailgate is not designed to support a bicycle carrier.

I don't know if it means that we can't operare the door with the carrier installed (which is fine by me, the door will remain closed at all times) or that there are issues even by having the carrier installed.

Has anyone with a motorized tailgate tried it?
I don't think it will have anything to do with the mechanics of the motorised tailgate, more likely the overhang of the bike.

I carried some long timber and metal profiles on my roof rack and was very careful when I opened the tailgate, to make sure it stopped before hitting the overhanging items. We did some shopping and piled the bags in the boot but when I shut the tailgate it was blocked so I pressed release the button and in my panic was too late to stop it before coming to rest against a piece of metal. The result was a very minor scratch on the piano black which can hardly be seen. On hinde sight I should have set the tailgate to stop at a lower level.

Just realised you probably meant the kind of bike rack that's fitted to the tailgate, so my advice would be stick with the handbook!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts