Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just bought a 2.0HDI 407 and intend to oil change myself every 4000 miles
as want to look after it and keep for a few years.
Whats the best oil for this engine?
Thanks
Andy

J

·
0 Posts
4000 miles is pretty excessive compared to Peugeot recommended interval of 20k.
5W30 fully synthetic for this engine (thats what mine has anyway).... be sure to get the right make that is suitable for use with the DPF (assuming yours still has it fitted) - I bought Mobil 1 ESP the other day to top mine up.... its rather expensive compared to oil I've used in other cars previously

J

·
0 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter
Do a search on here, or Google, and you will see what it does... it basically collects any particulate in the exhaust and prevents it from being released to atmosphere. Wrong oil can cause premature blocking of this filter. Its quite a complicated system, with many components to the overall system, and large repair bills if it goes wrong.
A lot of people will say it causes no end of grief on these engines, and probably true for some, but not all of us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DPF / ESP 5W/30 and 0W/40 Turbo diesel

Hi
Thanks for that. Why would the DPF not be there?

Whats the difference in suitability for this engine between:

Mobil 1 ESP 5W/30 Fully-Synthetic and Mobil 1 0W/40 Turbo-Diesel Fully Synthetic

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi captac,

if you read a bit thru forums you will see that many people opt to take out their dpf's, and in addition to that, there are engines with no dpf by default. :)

as for replacing oil every 4000 miles, i agree with jm, that is rather excessive. that is nothing more than just a bad marketing meant to get drivers to replace oil more often. i've seen people go literaly 5 years without doing it with no adverse effect. but then again, its your money, your car, do what you want. :) we are just trying to save you the trouble. if you do a search on that, you will find in studies they never established a reason why so should be done. also there is that long story about the saturn s series that would have its timing chain or something something kajigger knackered if oil was not changed every 3k miles.

but then again, this is not saturn s series forum so i guess you wont have that problem :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Mobil 1 ESP 5W/30 Fully-Synthetic and Mobil 1 0W/40 Turbo-Diesel Fully Synthetic
Something to do with viscosity and temperatures I think..... checking online does show the recommended oil is 5W30 fully synthetic
You need to get the right viscosity to protect the turbo!

·
Registered
821 Posts
i used total ineo ecs 5w30, says on the back its for cars with dpf. could that be a reson for dpf to get plugged, wrong oil? so far, mine runs like a clock. :)

J

·
0 Posts
halords have an offer on their castrol magnatec at the minute, £17 for 4 litres of 5W30 fully synthetic
You don't want to go putting that into it :nono:

i used total ineo ecs 5w30, says on the back its for cars with dpf. could that be a reson for dpf to get plugged, wrong oil? so far, mine runs like a clock. :)
Wrong oil will potentially lead to blocking the DPF.... ash content and the like :thumb:
I topped mine up with the Mobil 1 ESP 5/30 oil a couple of weeks back.... run sweet ever since :nod:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts