Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time on this forum.

(2004 407 sv, petrol, auto)
My problem is I think an easy one: defective valve, with spare fitted "tyre pressure not monitored". I really don't want to get the Peugeot garage to plug my car into the "£60 extraction machine" (to link the new valve to the OBD system) just so the dash can tell me what I should be checking anyway, and am thinking about replacing valve with a standard one, ignore the occasional warning message.

Is this OK or will my car do something unexpected?

Also, if I prefer the garage will reset to get the warning messages off, but this is expensive. I see references to obd2 diag on this forum, but there are evidently lots of obd2 tools about. I guess that the tool required to modify the output eg disable the tyre sensors is expensive and the simpler tools will do no more than tell me what component is failing, is this correct? Any guidance on which tool to buy will be very welcome.

Thanks

G

·
Peugeot planet seems to be the best available, currently saving for one myself!

Bestgear has one so may be able to shed a bit more light on the features it has, correct me if i'm wrong but i think the peugeot garages use this as well?

:thumb:

G

·
Hi

Basically, you have two options in as far as direction is concerned.

As stated by Stubb, the best option is to buy Peugeot Planet Office with an interface. This is what the dealers have, and will do pretty much anything on the car, from engine, to wiper, alarm, immobiliser, abs, aircon, audio coding etc etc.

The Actia interfaces are £££ and available both genuine and clone chinese copy.

The other option is a plain old OBD interface. The best ones, in my opinion for PCs are ELM 327 based. You can buy a decient one for around £25-£35 on ebay. You can use one of the many software packages with them - elm is pretty much the generic public domain standard these days.

The thing to note is that OBD is a generic term, and, something that all car manufacturers are bound to support. What "obd" gives you is only engine diag info in 99% of cases. There are a few exceptions, like Gendan's vauxcheck that uses an ELM to do Vaxuhall specifics - but there aint many like that around.

So - bottom line is... if its just engine stuff, then get an elm, if its peugeot specifics, then it has to be Planet or one of the other high end offerings like Launch
x431.

There are obviously handheld non-pc offerings too, but if its a cheap one (probably less than £800), its probably just generic engine obd.

For me, I weigh up what I need it for, and if its going to make financial sense, then get planet. If its casual use, in no specific direction, an elm will do a lot.

The last thing to remember is that the implementation of the OBD protocol within the Peugeots is emulated by the BSI (or equivalent) and in some models (and revision of), the implementayion is poor, so some third party diag kit wont work...period.... for £30 its worth a gamble.

David

G

·
If you check rapidshare, there are many copies of Planet around for download... you dont have to look too hard to find much these days.

David

G

·
If you do buy Planet just check what you are buying as there are many copies being sold off as genuine.

If its cheap-ish its probably a copy being sold slightly expensive.

If its expensive, then its probably genuine.

The copies are fine and in many ways you woul dbe hard pushed to sspot the difference - other than price.

Also if buying genuine, check that you have warranty with the manufacturer - best that way, as the sellers are not often around when you need them.

David

·
Registered
77 Posts
the ones canyondust has are genuine heads and leads with warranty, i have one of these from him myself and i also have a head from hong Kong, both are genuine, but the outlet in hong kong does offer you both variants and you buy what you can afford,

but canyondust does only have 2 or 3 left now, once thy are gone, i believe he can still supply but at a lot greater cost

1 - 8 of 8 Posts