Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few months ive been getting a noise which sounds like a squeeling belt but it only happens on a cold morning.

I had the cam belt kit changed about 1 year ago so im assuming they changed the idler pulleys and tensioner as i paid for a full kit

And i changed the aux belt, tensioner and deflector pulley a few weeks ago when the squeeling started thinking this would fix it.

Any ideas what else it could be? Im wondering if the cam belt kit bearings have gone already.

Its a 2.0hdi 110

·
5,891 Posts
Try starting with Aux belt removed. If no squeal then you know it's something driven by Aux belt. Clutch on Alternator (if fitted) can cause squeal if it's seized. If it still squeals I would look at water pump

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was my next step, problem is it seems completely random and is happening less now the weather is picking up!

Cool, I might price a water pump up anyway, I take it they are cam driven on these, I don't remember seeing it when I changed the aux belt kit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know its not advisable before any body quotes me, but if its really annoying and you don't wanna replace the belt give it a little blast of wd40 works a treat,just remember oil and rubber don't like each other

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I forgot to mention the squeeling only lasts for about 20 seconds or so and then the engine goes back to its normal self.

It doesn't really bother me but I know it's a sign of a Component about to fail so I'd rather tackle it now rather than later.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Question: if the aux belt is removed (and i believe the aux belt is the one visible, around the alternator) won't the car start to throw errors left and right?

What does that belt powers? Alternator, Power steering? What more ?

@ OP: Replace cam belt withough chaning the coolant pump is a bad practice, unless you're doing it too often. How much is a coolant pump anyway ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got a petrol 2.0 ltr and the w/ pump is cam driven ,but the oil spray should confirm its coming from the aux belt area ,I'm not sure if its the same as mine but put a quarter inch socket in the tensioner on the aux belt and release the tension on and off a few times as they can becone a little sticky over winter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The aux belt is the visible one and It powers the alternator and aircon on my car. The pas pump is electronic I believe.
Starting the car without it on shouldn't be a problem for a short time as the battery will sustain the electronics for a short time.

I know, if I'd done the belt myself I'd have done the water pump aswel but as it was a major service I wanted a receipt for resale reasons.

Edd, I replaced the aux tensioner a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix the squeeling so I doubt it's that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You are correct about not changing the water pump too as the extra belt tension of the new belt will now put extra wear on it,they should have told you that when they serviced your car , if you decide to do the pump yourself remember to replace the timing belt again according to a pug schedule I read ,cant remember where, it said that if you remove the belt for any reason it must be replaced by a new one ( cambelt)

·
Registered
168 Posts
To be honest though it just sounds like a slightly worn aux belt that is slipping with bit of morning moisture ,for the sake of 10 _ 15 quid maybe less I would put a new aux belt on !! You probably know its only a 10 min job.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok retract that quote lol ,just read you replaced it!! Did you get the parts from a decent motor factor?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a genuine gates aux belt with tensioner and deflector pulley.

Unsure what make the cambelt kit was as I didn't do it.

Is there a service manual about on how to change water pump or is it a case of a couple drill bits in the cam and crank, release the tension, change pump and refit?

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you are not loosing coolant I wouldn't worry to much about it, the timing on these things are a nightmare for the novice, check my thread on the Cambelt change!!!! Still not had chance to sort it,but a member called reliable has given me the info I need to put things right if I haven't already damaged my valves, make sure your flywheel is locked other wise you will end up throwing everything out like I have.you should be good as I cant see them not checking for play in your pump when doing the other bits,remember its just a recommendation by a dealer to replace everything ,meaning more money for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts