Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 306 diesel snaps alternator belts. Ive lost 6 in 2 years ...they last about 8000 miles. I have changed bottom pulley, pas pump, and the idle pulleys. The rubber has been stripped for about 30mm.... It can go either when starting up, or on a motorway, at 60 mph.....

any suggestions please??

·
Registered
548 Posts
It looks like you've checked the main culprits for this trick however there are a couple of points I would double check.

1) The parts you've replaced - good quality? I've seen some re-con PAS pumps which have caused some poor belt alignment issues.

2) Alternator pulley/bearing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IM thinking about the alternator....there is no play in it, and it is nice and free running. The stripping if the rubber worries me. It looks like it is being done by a small pulley, not bottom pulley or pas pump, as it is small.... The idle rollers I think, run on the back of the belt...how tight should the belt be? Surely by the amount if belt around each pulley it has plenty of grip so needn't be guitar string tight...?but it's not loose by any measure....

·
5,071 Posts
Bet it's alignment,same as happened on our 306,was a spacer/washer missing from behind the adjuster

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The belts are made by gates... Supplied by Cpa. Should be ok.

The adjuster doesn't have any grooves in it... The pump was out of alignment, but a new one has sorted that... But I lost another one last week.

·
5,071 Posts
The spacer on ours fitted behind the adjuster and couldn't be seen

·
Registered
52 Posts
The belts are made by gates... Supplied by Cpa. Should be ok.

The adjuster doesn't have any grooves in it... The pump was out of alignment, but a new one has sorted that... But I lost another one last week.
No gates are a good O.E. quality, and your more than happy with the alignment as you have said,
have you checked all the pullys for damage, i.e ran your finger over each one making sure no burrs or sharpe edges?
how do you check the Tension?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nothing sophisticated....do it up until there is just a little movement when pushed with a finger....not slack by any means, but not drum tight either. Then then adjuster tightened, then rechecked...... Is there a better way without special tools?

·
Registered
52 Posts
tighten adjuster till you can just about twist/rotate the belt through to about 90 degrees
that should make it tight enough for drive but not over tension it :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive had it like this before, but there was some squealing.... I bow to your advice and will slacken it off in the morning.....
Watch this post!
Many thanks

clive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts