Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, Ive got a 2005 407sw 2 litre diesel X-line (no dpf) and driving home the other day i noticed that everytime i accelerated and put the car under load it was throwing out a cloud of black? smoke. The bottom of the bumper is covered in black soot. It doesnt seem to be using overly much oil, I am not getting any warning lights on the dash,also there seems to be a very slight hesitation before I change gear. The car has covered 130000 miles.It idles perfectly ok, doesnt stall and Ive checked the air filter and its fairly new and clean. Any kind person out there with ideas?:confused:

J

·
0 Posts
I've always associated the black smoke with running rich on diesel, i.e. not fully burning it. Might be worthwhile getting it hooked up on planet and seeing if any faults are present

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
my 1.8 focus does this, check your oil level...i bet its dropped a little...i know its suppose to be blue smoke when burning oil...anyways i bet its because there is no dpf your getting loads of smoke.

i got it alot more when my turbo pipe was split and that was associated with lack of power in the high range...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I investigated the turbo pipe/hose after reading the above post (cheers) and there is a split in it so am getting it changed today. hopefully that will cure it:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was under the impression that this is normal for a turbo diesel.

You hit the accelerator - more fuel goes into cylinder - but due to the time it takes for the turbo to spin up - there is a delay in more air going into the cylinder - so before the turbo gets to speed - you throw a load of un burnt diesel out the back.

I've seem ooodles of diesel cars do this.

I don't think anything is wrong.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i do get a little smoke, but i think the op is getting loads of black smoke and has found a split in a turbo/intercooler pipe :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts