Peugeot Forums banner

before i buy

4K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  ciberboy 
#1 ·
Hi all im looking at purchasing my mum a 206. ( her KA finally didnt make it past mot)
now ive found a low cost 2001 206 2.0 hdi at a good price.
however in the description he states the car has been stood a good few months and has a sticky clutch slave cylinder
so im in need of advice.
is is likely that is has a sticky clutch cylinder due to it being left parked up for around 2 months or so???
if its likely is it a reasonably easy fix??
is there a quick test that i can do bearing in ind its going to be wet tomorrow?

im not a massive diy mechanic and can only do the basics and dont have anyone i can call on to come with me.
the last thing i want to do is buy my mother something thats not going to be reliable. I know its only a cheap car.but money is very tight.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes it comes with years of service history. But the owner has stated that
The cars been stood for quiet some time ( around 8 weeks or more) and the clutch slave cylinder is now sticking.
I'm just wondering if this will cure itself once regularly used. Or needs a new slave cylinder. Or even if it's something else that isn't being mentioned like a whole clutch.
Because I've no idea about mechanical issues spotting a car without any ia all guess work and kind of the luck of the drawer.

#5 ·
Yes everything's upto date including cam belt change just after 2011 mot 77000 on the clock all services seem to have been done as a DIY witch doesn't bother me
Everything seems fine and cosha with car just the clutch thing. Person selling it via Facebook selling page ( seems to be the done things these days ) but mentions this clutch problem states it's only happened since being parked up.
I've spoken to a garage who tell me it's not possible and if I take it to them they could fit complete new clutch.
Now this car seems incredibly cheap at £400 and before getting into any negotiation he dropped price to £350. Then £325. As it needs to go as it's in the way. But will only be a cheap car if it doesn't need a complete new clutch.
Is there a way of knowing if it's a slave cylinder or intact a complete clutch when I go to view later today.

#6 ·
If the clutch is sticking it could turn out to be expensive, it's unlikely, as the vendor asserts, that the clutch would stick after a two-month period of inactivity. Every year when I go away for a month's holiday, my 206 is laid up with battery disconnected for four weeks or more, and the clutch never sticks!

So, there is probably a more serious (and expensive) problem here, a garage taking on the job would have to remove driveshafts and the gearbox, which is labour intensive, and they would only guarantee the job if permitted to fit a new clutch and slave cylinder, when a gearbox is removed, it's a bit like opening Pandora's box, you don't know what horrors lie within, the oil seals on the engine and gearbox might be starting to "sweat" and a reputable garage would insist on replacing them, all in all the bill starts to stack up!

My advice is to walk away from this one, there are plenty of quality 206's around, and at this time of year it tends to be a buyer's market. I'ts always better to try to stretch your purchase budget, if possible, to bag a good one.

I would also advise looking for a petrol-engine 206, the diesels can be problematic as the miles stack up.

Hope you find a good one, if you don't, you're welcome to come back here for advice!!

Benny.

#7 ·
Thanks
I didn't actually buy that car. I told the seller I was unsure due to clutch and he instantly knocked off another £50. Yes I was after a cheap car but I also wanted a bargain. Thankfully I found a 54 plate 1.4 petrol with lots more history and proof of works done by a proper receipt. Was just round the corner from home
It does have a slight issue with no odder meter working but the seller seemed very genuine people. It came with 11 months mot so I have some time to fix.
Thanks again for comments.

#8 ·
Congratulations on bagging a better one, even from a distance I could detect some bad vibes from your original prospect purchase!

The odometer fault might just be a blown illumination bulb, the instrument dials are easy enough to access from behind, I'll try to post some photos on the procedure tomorrow (weather and shaky internet connection permitting!)

Benny.

#9 ·
Thanks for your response. And I will be very grateful of that
And yes I think it was one if those " can someone just confirm my doubts " posts
The car is for my mother who actually shed a tear of joy when I told her it was hers so kind of more important that I get it as close as perfect for her
Funnily enough it suddenly was announced it was her favourite car and color. Lol
Thanks again

#10 ·
Hello again......

I had a look at the instrument pod on my own 206 today, it's a 2007 model, and unfortunately there are no illumination bulbs to replace, this is provided by LED's on a circuit board and as far as I can see if one LED fails, a new circuit board will be needed. However, if I remember correctly, pre-2006 cars had bulbs which can be replaced, so it would be worth removing the pod for a looksee.

First, use the lever on the left-hand side of the steering column to lower and lock it in the lowest position, then use a trim tool or old blunt knife to pull back the shroud, it just unclips, remove the shroud, then undo one screw to free the pod (you need a torx screwdriver bit for this, widely available in box kits from Poundland etc.)

Now to release the electrical plug, press down on the ribbed section and pull back the U-shaped lever to seperate the plug from the pod.

You can now manouevre the pod from the dashboard and transfer it to the kitchen table, there are more torx screws to be removed to dismantle the pod, the dial needles just pull off.

If your mum's car has this later type it would be worthwhile sending an enquiry email to your local Peugeot dealer to check on the availability and price of a new circuit board, I always do this before going to Robins and Day, Glasgow, I've always found them helpful in sending a reply, but make sure you quote the VIN/Chassis number from the V5 document.

I'm not sure if the odometer visibility is part of the MOT test, but at least you have plenty of time to plan ahead.

Benny.

Attachments

#11 ·
Wow what an easy job. Quick pull and plastics removed. 1 screw n clocks removed. 2 plugs and all out the bulb had gone so all working fine now. However the engine management light is now on so a mate is coming to read and or reset
I've got a feeling a new crank sensor may be needed aswell hopefully that shows up as error.

#12 ·
Well done on the odometer bulb replacement job, you were lucky yours is the older type, mine looks like an expensive proposition if anything goes wrong, so much for "progress!"

If the MIL light is on you won't know for sure what fault code is stored in the ECU until it's diagnosed with a code reader, but the usual signs of a faulty crank angle sensor is difficulty with hot starting, on some 206's the sensor is positioned beside the crankshaft pulley , on others like mine it's bolted on to the clutch bellhousing, this type is prone to accumulation of clutch dust, so maybe try removing it and give it a clean up, also check the connector plug for corrosion.

Benny.

#13 ·
A friend is coming toy rescue. He has some reader ( planet ?)
The part has been quoted under £20 inc vat so if faulty it's being replaced
Putting it down to teething probs :)
Really amazed that everything appears sime to work on
Fixed a few little nightly things.
Unlike my 407 2.0 x line lux pack where everything is computerised.

#14 ·
ok so after reading all engine faults. and clearing them drove round for a while with problem but no engine management fault.
bit of reading here and there we now thing the crank sensor is at fault
2 available for this model, a black one at £7.something and in stock on the shelf and a grey one order onley £26 something.
guess what one i need..
however im loving the experiance gained doing little jobs on this little car.
my son past his driving test yesterday. guess what he's hoping to buy :)
looks like were going to have 3 pugs on the drive

#15 ·
Ok the crank sensor wasn't my main problem
But thankfully having a spare 206 wit same engine we could borrow and text parts from has made it an easy fix.
Although a new coil pack had been fitted it was a cheap crappy Chinese import
Apparently garages are using them due to only costing under £20
We have replaced with the original from donor car and hey presto prom elm solved. Drives like a dream no misfire no sluggy handling and no cutting out
New oem part at £71 something has been fitted and a 100 mile round trip up hills round corners on dual carriageways and all is fine.
Thanks to cheap inferior goods from china flooding the market this car became a serious issue to me.
I'm shocked the engine management doesn't identify this part

#16 ·
Many thanks for your detailed and invaluable feedback on this emerging problem, I wish other members would be as communicative, after requesting and receiving advice on the forum, it assists everybody if up to date information on a particular common problem is shared. I hesitated to reply until you had exhausted other possibilities, but you have done an excellent job all by yourself.

I already knew about sub-standard Chinese replacement parts flooding the car markets, but from experience of working on 206's I thought they were confined to Catalytic Converters and Oxygen/Lambda sensors, where I would only ever fit OE dealer parts, usually of VALEO manufacture, but now, thanks to you, I'll be watching for cheapo coil cassette parts.

It was surprising that the defective coil pack didn't flag up an ECU fault code,and MIL light on the dashboard, but maybe the ECU wasn't programmed to communicate with "the Chinese model" or maybe the cunning manufacturer had inserted some sort of blocking device!

Benny.

#17 ·
One other thing was that an odd smell came from under the bonnet I initially blamed this on a small oil spillage. But kind of new it wasn't
Melting or over heating plastic. We no longer get this either
I've seen so many posts that have changed the coil pack and still have misfire problems. I may be wrong but I would love to test these coils packs once hot just to see
Now the problem of engine management the light certainly didn't come on but misfire was stored. I will plug back in and find the codes and add later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.