Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to everybody and a happy new year.

I have a 406 Berline 1.9 TD 90 cv 1998

I had to go on a long trip with my wife so I decided to clean the inside of the car (long overdue). In the morning the car would not start and I discovered that whilst I was cleaning I had accidentaly left the left hand indicator on so the parking light was on all night. I re-charged the battery.

The next day the battery warning light came on whilst driving so I limped home and did a battery and alternator test. All seemed fine. I switched the engine back on and no battery warning light - brilliant! But no. When I switched the engine back off again the warning light remained on, albeit quite dim. Bizarrely, when I flick the light switch stalk the warning light gets very bright.

I disconnected the negative battery lead and did a test with a voltameter and discovered that I have a 4.95 amp drain. With the voltameter on I disconnected each fuse from the main fuse panel inside the car and the boxes in the engine compartment but the drain remained the same and the battery warning light did not go out.

If I leave the battery connected the car will not start in the morning.

Has anyone got any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
sounds like you have a short to earth on the charge circuit.
disconnect the wires from the alternator, see if light go out.
could be the short is in the alternator!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
I disconnected the negative battery lead and did a test with a voltameter and discovered that I have a 4.95 amp drain. With the voltameter on I disconnected each fuse from the main fuse panel inside the car and the boxes in the engine compartment but the drain remained the same and the battery warning light did not go out.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Not much left if you've pulled all fuses...
Possibly bad/shorted alternator diode?
Disconnect the thick battery wire from the alternator and check the drain again (or measure between the cable and the bolt on the alternator).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Two answers with the same idea. Probably right. Getting dusky here now so I will try it in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,377 Posts
Your alternator was probably damaged by the extra load put on it from the low battery and as others have said a diode is blown this means the alternator is always connected to the battery even when turned off hence the light on the dash.

The alternator may still charge the battery but when turned off you will find it gets hot as it drains the power out the battery.

New alternator and your all fixed.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top