Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been searching but cant find a definitive answer so thought I'd ask instead.

On Saturday I got a 'Battery Charge Fault'. After testing, I removed the alternator and had it repaired with new slip rings, voltage regulator and pulley.

I put the alternator back on and started the car. Now it starts and drives and when running the battery light goes out as it should and there's no more 'Battery Charge Fault' warning.

But, when I turn the engine off the battery light comes on and stays on. Also the MFD and the mileage display stay on even after locking the car.

If I disconnect the small wire to the alternator the car and electrics work as they should but I dont think I should be leaving it disconnected. What does it do?

Has anyone else had this or have any idea what it might be???

Thanks in advance

Pete

D

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a bsi problem. Was the alternator actually faulty. Ie was it charging correctly even though the battery light was on. The bsi controls the charging on your car.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David,

The alternator was definitely faulty. There was 11.8 volts when running and 11.8 when I ran it with the belt off.

When I took it to my auto elecy I watched him test it and it wasn't putting out any charge.

Do you think its worth me getting my multi meter on it again now that the alternator is ok?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also forgot to mention that I did a BSI reset yesterday just in case I hadn't reconnected the battery properly and afterwards the car refused to start. Plenty of charge in the battery but no fire. Not sure if its related or not. The Green flag guy code read it and found no codes.

I charged the battery overnight because all the cranking had drained it.

This morning it fired up ok and I hooked up planet and also no faults???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just checked it:

At idle:
Battery 14.13
Alternator Large Terminal 14.18
Alternator Small Terminal 14.18

When I had the 'Battery Charge Fault' before getting the alternator fixed the readings were:
Battery 11.91
Alternator Large Terminal 11.88
Alternator Small Terminal 1.16 (not a typo :) just in case)

Cheers

Pete

·
5,891 Posts
I would get the auto electrician to double check regulator etc as it could be a faulty new unit with a leakage problem which fools the bsi and keeps the battery light on

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd consider taking it back as a last resort if I cant get to the bottom of it because I know it's charging as battery is 14.13 volts at idle.

I'm currently running with the small alternator wire off and everything is working as it should except the windows dont go up when I lock the car from the remote.

I'm going to try and trace the wiring back from the alternator at the weekend as i'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok bit of an update for those who've read and contributed to this thread.

I've been running the car for 3 days with the small wire off the alternator and the car has been fine.

However, this morning I went out and within a few minutes the car started coughing and spluttering and I got a whole load of faults thrown up: Braking Fault, ASR/ESP not functioning, Air Bag Fault, ABS Fault.

One of the faults shown in planet was intermittent battery voltage too high so I checked the battery with the volt meter and it was 17.75 volts and the same output at the alternator.

I disconnected the alternator and the car ticked over properly again and all faults disappeared from the MFD and instrument cluster.

It's been suggested earlier that the BSI may be at fault so I'll keep that in mind but before I condemn it I'm going to take the alternator back to the auto elecy who repaired it and have it tested.

Please feel free to give any other opinions but I think it is either the alternator giving too much charge and throwing the car into a panic or the BSI not regulating the charge correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts