Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

can anyone help?

battery is draining itself, had a phone charger plugged into cig lighter but not to phone. [ energy cannot be created or destroyed right? - only transferred] where is the power going?

nothing plugged in no lights on, bump it on Monday, drive to work [10miles each way ] Tuesday started straight up, another 20miles. had to bump it this morning.

cant work it out. battery shows 12.4V and alternator test looks ok?

anything else I should look at?

at start up I get all lights on dash, power steering pump kicks in, but turning the key does nothing not even a cough.

thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does nothing

Engine does not turn over, no difference in noise coming from engine, no clicks or coughs,

power to ancilleries, wipers lights etc.

on one occasion, i freed up the starter by rolling it backwards ten feet and it started but apart form that i've had to bump it everytime.

i cant even jump it, tried positive to negative on both cars, and earthing on the chassis on one or both cars. only way i can start is by bumping it. and at 1196kg it hurts like hell.

P

·
0 Posts
Engine does not turn over, no difference in noise coming from engine, no clicks or coughs,

power to ancilleries, wipers lights etc.

on one occasion, i freed up the starter by rolling it backwards ten feet and it started but apart form that i've had to bump it everytime.

i cant even jump it, tried positive to negative on both cars, and earthing on the chassis on one or both cars. only way i can start is by bumping it. and at 1196kg it hurts like hell.
Don't jump the car, risk killing the ECU! What stero is in the car? Does the car currently start?

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
From your description sounds like starter is kaput as above do not mess around with jump leads unless you know what you are doing these cars are easily upset.

G

·
0 Posts
Does sound like the starter, check the leads to the starter to make sure they have a good connection ( front and back )

It may also be that your battery is getting tired....:)

In the meantime, park on a hill, even if its a short walk home..:thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
definately the starter?

I've been quoted a silly amount for a starter, I've seen them online for as little as £45, but the garage I use quoted me £120 plus £70 fitting?

that doesn't seem all that good value to me.

thoughts?

also is there any way to check whether is its definitely the starter I don't wanna blow all this money [i'm on minimum wage] just to have the problem continue.

P

·
0 Posts
I've been quoted a silly amount for a starter, I've seen them online for as little as £45, but the garage I use quoted me £120 plus £70 fitting?

that doesn't seem all that good value to me.

thoughts?

also is there any way to check whether is its definitely the starter I don't wanna blow all this money [i'm on minimum wage] just to have the problem continue.
Online prices with always seem massively cheaper then what your going to get in a garage. Don't forget they have to buy the part, pay for delivery/vat then make some sort of profit on the part.

·
11,711 Posts
It also depends on the quality of the part.

My starter was iffy last month. I was going to get a replacement from Euro and take a chance it was that part.

But it worked out quicker and cheaper to have the existing starter tested, confirmed faulty, and a new one fitted by a local auto electrician (Advanced Auto Electrical, Wirral) who got the part at trade price. Didn't even have to get my hands dirty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts