Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening guys i have i think a battery drain question
my battery was flat today so i did a few tests one was a parasitic draw test here is what i did
i disconnected the - lead and put the multi meter lead on the - pin and the other multi meter lead on the - lead so it was in series i think its called i did this wit the - lead as i heard if you touch ground on the + terminal you can short circuit.
the multi meter was set to black lead com red lead 10adc dial was set to 10A
so when i did the series test the meter is showing 0.34 so i am guessing something is draining the battery is this correct?
here is the test i did so you can understand what i mean but multi meter is showing 0.34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

·
Registered
174 Posts
The drain you quote is very small and is possibly some anti theft device or a very low powered bulb such as an interior light or even a boot light.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drain you quote is very small and is possibly some anti theft device or a very low powered bulb such as an interior light or even a boot light.
OK only alarm system is the imobaliser led which comes on once key is taken out
Would a bulb drain the battery within 24 hours ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Possibly, if the battery was in poor condition to start with. had a friend with a Vauxhall whose battery would run down in about 12 hrs. or so , bought new battery which also did the same , the cause was the light in the boot of the car was permanently on. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
test the voltage of the battery when charged, disconnect the battery from the car, leave overnight and test again in the morning if it has dropped a lot then battery could be on its last legs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys battery is good as tested there is still a draw of 0.34a
Have taken all fuses out one by one no drop in draw
So now what can the starter motor draw this as I think its sticking if so how to test ?
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try disconnecting the starter motor , but I would think the starter motor drain would be significant. your battery drain is showing very little.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A leak to earth through your Alternator diode pack could cause this
Hi
I think you have cracked it
Today i checked the voltage draw again and it was 0.34A
so i decided to take the alternator + lead off the alternator and the multi meter went down to 0.01-0.02 flickering between the two so i am guessing its the alternator is these the correct readings i should have for a none draw from the battery.
also i did notice whilst i was putting the + lead back on the alternator to see if the voltage went back up (which it did to 0.034).
i was hearing a very slight buzzing sound which seamed to come from the alternator area once i disconnected the + lead from the battery it no longer buzzed
so have i found the fault ?
as the alternator is giving the battery charge over 14v?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you disconnected the battery with the engine running that probably did for the diodes, it could be they weren't in great shape to start with.
The alternator isn't fried, but the only cure for your drain is to have the alternator repaired, or more practically, replaced.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi
I think you have cracked it
Today i checked the voltage draw again and it was 0.34A
so i decided to take the alternator + lead off the alternator and the multi meter went down to 0.01-0.02 flickering between the two so i am guessing its the alternator is these the correct readings i should have for a none draw from the battery.
also i did notice whilst i was putting the + lead back on the alternator to see if the voltage went back up (which it did to 0.034).
i was hearing a very slight buzzing sound which seamed to come from the alternator area once i disconnected the + lead from the battery it no longer buzzed
so have i found the fault ?
as the alternator is giving the battery charge over 14v?
Cheers
the Alternator has a diode pack which act like valves to only allow current one way the Alternator would still charge at the right voltage but with dodgy diodes the current leaks back through to the Alternator it could be fixed but usually a new alternator would be fitted unless you are handy with tools

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the Alternator has a diode pack which act like valves to only allow current one way the Alternator would still charge at the right voltage but with dodgy diodes the current leaks back through to the Alternator it could be fixed but usually a new alternator would be fitted unless you are handy with tools
so are we 100 % sure new alternator as dont want to spend over 100 for a new one and its something else is there any other tests that can be done to the alternator to make sure it is the diodes?
thanks

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
so are we 100 % sure new alternator as dont want to spend over 100 for a new one and its something else is there any other tests that can be done to the alternator to make sure it is the diodes?
thanks
I would be looking at changing the Alternator but if you have an Auto electrician near you ask for advice from them or a garage if you cannot change it yourself a good mechanic would do a diagnosis for free if you say they are getting the Job of fitting

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would be looking at changing the Alternator but if you have an Auto electrician near you ask for advice from them or a garage if you cannot change it yourself a good mechanic would do a diagnosis for free if you say they are getting the Job of fitting
OK thanks prob could change it my self but not to sure about the tensioner pully how w do I adjust it
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
The tensioner is spring loaded and is adjusted automatically. Use a ring spanner or socket placed on the centre nut of the pulley and lever towards the rear of the car to release tension(needs a fair bit of effort). lock the pulley in place using a 4mm. drill bit or something similar through the provided hole. Belt is now free to remove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts