Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a relatively new owner of a 2013/4 registered motorhome built on a Boxer chassis.
When I bought it I was shown a +ve connection under the bonnet to which I was told I could attach the positive lead of my charger if necessary, the negative lead to go to the chassis.
I am going away to Canada for 5 weeks and am concerned that the starter battery will go flat as it is running all the standard Peugeot electronics plus an alarm and tracker.
I have been given conflicting advice as to the best way of keeping my battery charged and would welcome your thoughts on the best strategy to follow.
It will not be possible to plug this Motorhome into the mains once I have left UK so a permanent maintenance charge is not possible.
1 Get battery properly and fully charged by a CTEK charger before I go by using connection method above and leaving everything connected whilst it charges. Battery if fully charged will last for five weeks allegedly.
Have been told it is unsafe to charge with all connected as risk to electronics but surely these new super chargers cope with this situation ok?

Is it OK to charge via these under bonnet connectors, if not do I connect across the battery directly or +ve battery and negative to chassis?
Battery is a wet type do I have to undo all the vents whilst it is charging?

Any thoughts and good solid advice appreciated.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Charging with a low current charger using the jump point is perfectly fine and will do no harm no need to disconnect anything.

Battery probably will last 5 weeks on a full charge but it depends on the current draw

Fit a solar panel to the roof as even without direct sunlight they do keep your battery topped up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response "reliable", just one final pretty dumb question!
I know I need to check the level of the electrolyte and top up with distilled water if necessary so I am assuming that I have to have the vent caps undone on the battery whilst it is charging?

Have every intention of fitting a solar panel as and when funds allow, have got to research the market first, as you so rightly say "assume nothing check everything twice !! "

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be fitted with a sealed battery which doesn't need to be opened to charge any 'maintenance' charger or a charger with 3 stages will keep it at a floating charge and always ready for use

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I don't disagree with you but this battery was supplied either by Peugeot or the MH manufacturer so who am I to say whether right or wrong. I assume by your response that the vents have to be open during charging?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If its a sealed battery then no you cannot open the vents, just read your post again if you can't leave a charger on to it. Check to see if you got a permanent live at the cigarette lighter you can either plug a solar panel charger in or just connect a secondary battery into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If its a sealed battery then no you cannot open the vents, just read your post again if you can't leave a charger on to it. Check to see if you got a permanent live at the cigarette lighter you can either plug a solar panel charger in or just connect a secondary battery into it.

This seems to be getting confusing, well it is to me!
The battery fitted from new is not a sealed battery it is an old type wet battery with removable vent caps, I know because I have removed one to check!
No permanent live at cigarette lighter so have discarded solar panel idea.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
It's very rare to see the old type battery with removable cell tops. The newer sealed batteries are still 'wet' batteries. I guess more advanced battery technology has improved them to the point where they no longer need the maintenance they used to require

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Slow charging ANY battery is fine as the current required is way less than the alternator will produce so no need to remove caps you are trying to make this harder than it is :)

Connect charger on a low setting and it will be fine the charger will regulate itself anyway I charge cars overnight all the time on low without disconnection so they are ready to go in morning when I get in NEVER had a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for their responses, they have certainly helped me understand the process better.

Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
All he is worried about is the battery going flat while left idle for a long period not while is used it no doubt has a separate leasure battery and split charge system

My bongo has 2 batteries and a 120w panel on the roof and I never worry about it not starting :)

I actually use it as a battery charger it can charge a battery from flat with the panel in 1 day without running the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do come in different sizes, why not use a split charging system? cheap and easy, a good camper should have one anyway.
It does have a split charging system but no use for this requirement but thanks for suggestion.
As I have said earlier I will be fitting a solar panel as when funds allow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts