Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Now that my car is not being used Because of Self isolation, I thought I would charge the battery with my trickle charger. When looking at the battery the Negative post is not covered so no problem to attach the charger lead to it, but the Positive lead on the battery is covered with what I thought was a Red Plastic cover. Be aware its not just a cover, it's the battery post clamp! When I lifted it up to get at the post it detaches from the battery! so I have learned something today.
Do not lift the red cover up, or the positive lead will detach from the battery post.

Cheers Bill

3008 SUV.JPG

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
On the bulkhead to the right of the battery there is a terminal which you should attach the negative clamp to, you shouldn't attach it directly to the battery negative in case sparking occurs. It's in the handbook. There is room to attach the positive without lifting the plastic cover on my car. If you accidently disconnected the battery you should wait for at least 3 minutes before re-connecting it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the bulkhead to the right of the battery there is a terminal which you should attach the negative clamp to, you shouldn't attach it directly to the battery negative in case sparking occurs. It's in the handbook. There is room to attach the positive without lifting the plastic cover on my car. If you accidently disconnected the battery you should wait for at least 3 minutes before re-connecting it.
Yes I know, One should read the hand book before going ahead! silly me did not, You live and learn.
Cheers Bill
3008 SUV.JPG

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the tip, guys. As a new 3008 owner and mindful of the array of electronics on this car my mind has been turning to the thought of the battery now that my vehicle outings are restricted to shopping trips.

A couple of questions if you don't mind. My plate is a 67 and over the last month or so I've not been getting stop/start so I'm guessing the battery isn't fully charged? without being a real car buff

1. how can I ensure the battery doesn't go flat? Is running it stationary for half an hour a possibility - desert appeal environmentally to me but I may need the car in an emergency

2. would I be better starting it without depressing the clutch? If I've read correctly this prevents stop/start but does it save on other electronics and therefore make it more likely to start?

3. I have an (old) Halford power pack and had a look weeks ago under the bonnet but quickly shut it again as I hadn't a clue where I would attach the terminals. I take the point about the red cover but is there any chance of someone posting a quick pic of where they should be attached just in case?( I remember the time it took a mechanic on my old 3008 to find places to attach it).

Thanks in advance and stay safe. I'm really missing the runs the my wife and I have been going on in this new car. It is a joy to drive - and LED lights at night. Wow!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is from the handbook. Click on image to increase size.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Same thoughts here as we all quite rightly, stay locked down and certainly not driving anywhere. I'd like to however make sure my car will start in case of emergency.

Its of course a very trivial matter with so many other concerns going on, but I wonder if perhaps starting my 3008 and leaving the engine running on my own drive, which is off the public highway (perhaps also combining it with doing the latest map update!), might be the best solution to maintain a half decent charge in the battery. Map updates usually take about 45 minutes.

The approach of leaving the engine running to charge the battery is not being recommended by the bigger organisations that I could see online, probably because of the issues with the environment, legal issues if its done on a public road and security/insurance. Sitting in the car with the car on your own drive (if you can) should be OK.

I don't own a battery charger and certainly don't want to be having to be jump starting the car from a donor vehicle when it eventually does go flat.

The cars held in dealer showrooms and in stock usually have their battery disconnected and its normally reconnected up on PDI. Dealer showroom cars are usually in showroom mode, and have a permanent power supply.

I think, as has been said, a couple of weeks is probably fine to leave it, but I'll try and start her up soon.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Perhaps I should take heed and connect my charger (Ctek) to the car. If my battery dies whilst the car is in the garage, I cannot open the passenger door to get to the bonnet release handle and as the car is an automatic if I cannot start it, I cant put the car in neutral to push it out either. So perhaps it would be prudent to unlatch the bonnet before parking it up in the garage.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Mine's locked up in the garage with the bonnet left open, I'm connecting my Ctek charger weekly to keep the battery topped up, athough it can be left connected for months if you want to..

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
I left a mondeo in a street nearby long complicated reasons but anyway that was 3 months ago i went to it today with jump leads ready it started first turn off its own battery a good battery will last for 6 months fine if required

·
Registered
325 Posts
IIRC on my Evoque there was a storage setting that you could select which basically set all the electrics/electronics into hibernation to limit battery drain if the car was to be left parked up for a while. Might have been on another previous car though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thoughts here as we all quite rightly, stay locked down and certainly not driving anywhere. I'd like to however make sure my car will start in case of emergency.

Its of course a very trivial matter with so many other concerns going on, but I wonder if perhaps starting my 3008 and leaving the engine running on my own drive, which is off the public highway (perhaps also combining it with doing the latest map update!), might be the best solution to maintain a half decent charge in the battery. Map updates usually take about 45 minutes.

The approach of leaving the engine running to charge the battery is not being recommended by the bigger organisations that I could see online, probably because of the issues with the environment, legal issues if its done on a public road and security/insurance. Sitting in the car with the car on your own drive (if you can) should be OK.

I don't own a battery charger and certainly don't want to be having to be jump starting the car from a donor vehicle when it eventually does go flat.

The cars held in dealer showrooms and in stock usually have their battery disconnected and its normally reconnected up on PDI. Dealer showroom cars are usually in showroom mode, and have a permanent power supply.

I think, as has been said, a couple of weeks is probably fine to leave it, but I'll try and start her up soon.
Leaving it running won't really charge it much better off with a battery charger over couple of days and best with a smart charger .
Battery needs to be over 78% charged for the stop start to work

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts