Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my battery warning light started to flash occasionally and at the same time there was a clicking noise coming from around the glove box, by the time I got home the batter light was staying on all the time and the battery was flat.
I thought it must be the alternator but I bought a battery anyway because the old one was at least 5 years old and I wasn't totally convinced it was the alternator because of the clicking noise.

So, with the new battery the light went out and everything seemed fine but now the new battery went flat, tested the alternator with engine running and it showed less than 12 volts, I had a play with the 2 relays just to see if there any bad connections and I put the old fully charged battery back on the van, now I get a reading of 13.4 volts from the alternator....

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been out to move the van and on full steering lock there is that clicking noise again and at the same time the battery warning light comes on.

Think I might as well get a new alternator and see if this sorts it out'

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

It seems tight enough to me, however it looks a bit worn, perhaps the auto tensioner is is on full adjustment ? is the belt easy enough to change ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Decided for the sake of 10 quid to change the belt but kept the original alternator on, alternator is pushing just over 13 volts but this drops down to 12.4 volts when the lights and hazards are on, also the alternator gets very hot within a couple of minutes, is this normal ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumb:

Hopefully It will last till the weekend, got some gear cable linkages to put on as well, so that's my Sunday sorted.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts