Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoy everyone,
I own a Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90cv, and lately the battery indicador has been lighting up for a few minutes while I drive. I can also read the message "Battery Charge Anomaly" on the display. The battery light remains active sometimes a few minutes and then goes off, and sometimes till I turn off the engine. When I restart the engine again, the failure sometimes reappears again, and sometimes not. I have turned on the engine, placed a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals and waited till the failure is announced by the car and the voltage remains over 14V before, during and after the failure. I replaced the battery, but the failure is still there. The alternator seems to be working and loading the battery. What could be the cause off this?.
Thank You

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hoy everyone,
I own a Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI 90cv, and lately the battery indicador has been lighting up for a few minutes while I drive. I can also read the message "Battery Charge Anomaly" on the display. The battery light remains active sometimes a few minutes and then goes off, and sometimes till I turn off the engine. When I restart the engine again, the failure sometimes reappears again, and sometimes not. I have turned on the engine, placed a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals and waited till the failure is announced by the car and the voltage remains over 14V before, during and after the failure. I replaced the battery, but the failure is still there. The alternator seems to be working and loading the battery. What could be the cause off this?.
Thank You
could be a sign the alternator is going to fail

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But how could the voltage remain 14+ while the battery lamp is on? If I had seen the voltage drop to 12+ I could understand it, but the voltage on the battery is not affected by the lamp.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Using a voltmeter across battery terminals will not display voltage/amperage fluctuations as the battery will buffer the readings. You would need to put the alternator on a test bench to read its actual instantaneous outputs.

The alternator's brushes/rectifier/regulator could be failing, it could have a bad ground contact to the motor through its mounting, have a bad connection to the battery/wiring loom, faulty ignition switch as windy suggests, and so on.

I would start by checking grounding, all electrical connections to it including ignition switch, then check brushes. If none of these shows any improvement, get the alternator tested on a test bench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts