Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

I would have one question.
What transmissiom oil do you use?
I have peugeot 407 coupe V6(ES9A) with manual gearbox.
Shifting is very stiff during the winter (below 0°C). In summer is it ok. Or when engine get hotter.
So I think this is caused by transmision oil.
I changed it lately. I used original Total BV 75-80. I also tried to use some aditives from moly liquid, but I dont think it helped to much🥴
Do you have experience with better oils?
Thank you

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Mobil™ Gear Oil FE 75W - this is what Peugeot supplies now. Although the Total gear oil you put in would produce silky smooth gear changes, so there might be other issues. I had same issues with you in a ML6C box with the 2.0 HDi and it was due to previous garage filling with incorrect oil most likely.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All peugeots I have owned previously had problems with though shifting in low temperature. And I have supplied them always with oil Total as described in manual. So, good to know they started to use different brand of oil 🤔 I was wondering, if i can use some "special for low temperatures", but I am affraid of shifting in summer then 😀

· Registered
1,197 Posts
I've only had trouble with Peugeot's when incorrect oil have been used. On both pugs, I've used the genuine dealer oil, which cured everything. Dealer supplied oil wasn't too expensive either, maybe 20% more than non-genuine oil. Yes, we don't get much cold weather in the UK... but we still get some!

Also worth noting, I didn't see an immediate improvement after changing the oil... I thought my syncromesh was worn but it took a few weeks until the gear changes were silky smooth as they should be.

Looking at the manufacturer claims, the Mobil oil saves you some fuel by flowing better at colder temperature.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always bought originaly sealed bottle of Total transmition oil. I will try to google more about ES9A with BV6 manual gearbox. Shoud be developed by PSA and AISIN, if I remember it well 🤔

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was checking today according to VIN. There is BVM6 gearbox.
But I cannot find an oil plan for gearbox BVM6.
I was expecting according to some topics/forums that should be Total BV 75-80W.
Also guys from CZ Peugeot forum recomended it.

Attachments

· Registered
1,197 Posts
If you have servicebox, select your car, pick gearbox, go to repair procedures, right at the bottom under heading: Modifications, your gearbox is listed as BVM ML6 CL. In that document (B2CT0XK1), it specifically mentions the ES9A engine and specially states "ML6C" as the gearbox type... which means that the BVM6 and ML6C most likely are the same gearbox (but of course different housings to accommodate V6).

If your gearbox has fins for cooling at the bottom, when you drain and refill, you should only refill 1.7 litres as well! The extra oil you might have filled shouldn't have any negative shifting performance though, you might find a 0.5% increase in fuel consumption IIRC.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem is, I dont have access to service box😒 I am just amateur and last time Ihave tried to log in, it was forbidden for amateurs. Could you please check what is the correct gearbox oil for my car?
VIN code is: VF36JXFVH21491816

Regarding Liquimoly. I am sure, it will be one of the best, but i cannot find type 80-75. Was it mistake or it should be: Gear Oil (GL5) 75W-80.
I was always thinking, the best option for car is oil, recomended by manufacturer of the car (PSA in this case). So that is why I chosed Total🤔

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was checking Liqui moly lubrication plan for ML6C and there are basically 2 types of oils recomended. Both are 75W-80, but first is GL5 and second is GL4. What is difference between API class?
Product Liquid Bottle Fluid Font

1 - 12 of 12 Posts