Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 Peugeot 806 will not idle and revved up to max rpm when you cranked it. I cleaned around the throttle body and it was gummed up. Now I crank it and it just cuts off unless I keep giving it gas.

I got 2 codes from the computer. code 41 revolution signal and code 33 map sensor. I clear the codes but the come right back immediately.

Sound like a map sensor is the way to go? Is there any idle sensor that could be the culprit?

·
Registered
239 Posts
map sensor sounds about right and could easily cause the other fault which is knock sensor or fuel delivery,

check the vacuum line going to the map sensor as this is a first place to start.

quick edit* the map sensor is on the bulk head

G

·
Agreed...map sensor sounds very likley and does give that sumptom..plus when running the engine will not take throttle and tend to go towards stalling when pushed.

I have not looked up 41, but revolution signal says to me that it might be pointing to a crank angle sensor or possible cam angle if that engine has one. This could give a similar problem, but usually the engine wont run at all without the signal being received by the ecu.

Go for the map sensor first...

D

·
Registered
239 Posts
good find there I was looking at code 43 for some reason:nono: and should have noticed 41:eek: I blame bad eye sight:D yes crank sensor but the map sensor is probably the main area because the crank sensor will register when the engine cuts out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok good. I ordered map sensor and will install monday. I forgot to mention when driving approx cruising speeds of 55mph or around 85kph every so often it will buck slightly almost like it wants to cut out for a split second or it might want to backfire but its more like mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm##mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm#mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm# so to the unobeservant it might go unnoticed. Oh ya the mmmmm is smooth running engine sound and ## is the buking of the engine very very mild but there nonetheless.
Thanks a lot for the replies.

·
Registered
239 Posts
intermittent problems are a pain but mostly one sensor is the issue so more investigation required,
map sensor vacuum pipes im going for as this is common due to heat as the pipe swells due to age and heat which renders it absolute and the ECM see that and an air leak will do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I received an aftermarket map sensor today. However I am not sure it is the correct one. It has an electrical connection and a vaccum outlet with 2 holes to fasten it to the vehicle. What has me confused is I thought the map sensor was located on the throttle body but this one does not resemble any of the sensors I have on my 806. Is the map located on the throttle body? I am such a retard sometimes.

Forgot to mention it is a 2.0L engine. Gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok bros, I replaced the map sensor as per the code said it was bad. Starts fine and runs fine as long as you are driving it or keeping your foot on the gas pedal. It will not idle though. It just cuts right off unless you keep giving it gas. So map sensor replaced and revolution sensor next? The other code was code 41 revolution signal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok bros. Well after installing the new map sensor I cleared all the codes but it didnt take so I cleared them again and no codes were left. I started the car and revved it up a few times then let it idle. It seemed to idle fine, slightly high at 1000rpm but still good. After sitting for 2-3 minutes it started to slightly rev. From 850 to 1000rpm not bad but it was revving every few seconds. I revved the engine again and it idled fine but would rev up and down if left at idle for too long. I checked codes again and there were none so I took a 5 kilometer test drive. Went well shut off engine went in store came out 3 minutes later and started fine but would not idle. Like the original problem returned where everything was good except it would cut off if not constantly giving it gas. I immediately plugged in the laptop to see the codes and the map code 33 returned .No other codes just that one.
Any ideas?
I think the vacuum lines are good but maybe the plastic box that sits on top of the intake manifold has a leak somewhere and thats where the other end of the vacuum line goes from the map sensor to the box.
I am stumped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi bros. I have been so busy with work and with my wife expecting our second child on the 16th I have not been able to check the forums lately. Really have not had time to do anything. Those with very pregnant wives and 2 year old boys will definately understand what I mean.

So I still seem to be having problems with this old Peugeot. I keep having the same symptoms as in car cranks fine and drives fine but will not idle without keeping my foot on the gas pedal.

I used an aftermarket map sensor if it matters. So when I crank it every 5th time when it is dead cold it might have a low idle for a few short minutes but then it dies and will not idle again sometimes for hours sometimes for days.
Also I did clear the map code but it came back 5-7 kilometers later. And when I unplug the vacuum line to the map sensor it dies immediately. I do not have propane so I have tried butane, start gas, brake clean all in an effort to spray all around the engine to see if I can detect any chenge in the engine and maybe pinpoint a possible vacuum leak. No real luck yet.
If anyone could post one or 2 tips to try before I throw in the towel I would be grateful. Like many people we just dont have a bunch of cash laying around so I am really hoping to get this problem fixed.

Thanks for taking time to read and sorry for the long post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts