Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the rear backplates?,my 406 99 mk2 ones have all but gone and the real problem is the holes for the hold down pins for the handbrake shoes are not holding the shoes and the pin/springs keep falling into the drum and thats no good.

Are they available from dealer?....I know I can ring one but just wondered if anyone has had this problem.thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
This is very common on the 406, second hand ones are hard to find.

New they are about £90 each, and you need to remove the hub/bearing to replace the backplate. I was lucky enough to have good ones on my donor car, which I had galvanized and painted.

If you are struggling, you can get a thin gutter bolt ( slightly countersunk ) put this through the spring/shoe/backplate and put a nut and washer on the back. Not too tight as the shoe needs to move.

Its a relatively good fix that will last ages.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello,thanks for the replies...thats a good idea Ginger:D....I have done a similar trick by using those washer things with a slit for the pin to lock in...what a pain to get it to hold though,your idea sounds better.I rang local dealer today and yeah 90+ inc VAT each....you would have thought they would have made em galvn or something instead of tin!

G

·
0 Posts
They have a sort of plastic coating on them, although it doesn't last 15 years....

It is a bit tricky putting the nut on the back, but worth doing.

If your rear bearings fail, its a good time to remove your backplate and either fix it with weld and treat it to some rustproofing, or buy new ones. The handbrake cable will be rusted into it so you may need those too....:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that...I replaced the hubs/bearing when I got the car 6 years ago...I should have done the backplates then perhaps.I will use the bolt trick for now.Also the blinkin air con comp is rattling a bit so guess its on its way out...plus the aux belt has stripped a narrow piece off....but for a 15 yr old with 235,000 mls on it....it drives/looks nice!....thanks.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Paul,
Not sure if you still have your 406, but I was wondering, did you have issues with the handbrake being useless?
If so, did it improve once the backplates were replaced/fixed? And did you have to replace the cable too - was this seized in its liner?

Thanks for any help!!
Cheers
John

·
Registered
44 Posts
backplates and handbrake

I'm not sure which 406 you have but if it has rear disks we forget the handbrake actually works using a separate set of drum brake shoes within the hub on the brake discs - and these (unlike my 1982 datsun) are not self adjusting. Its an easy job to adjust the handbrake shoes :

-chock the car wheels and let handbrake off
-jack up a rear wheel, remove wheel
-remove small rubber bung in hub of brake disc facing you .
-With a torch through the newly exposed hole you will see some teeth or large splines.
-place a flat blade screw driver through the hole and catch the edge in the splines to rotate the shaft they are on (I cant remember which way but try each way , rotating the wheel hub by hand at the same time until you find the hand-brake shoes nipping and stopping the wheel hub turning. -
-Apply handbrake to resettle the shoes
-Adjust again if need be to get a very light nip
-done

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi 7-up,

Thanks for the reply, that handbrake adjustment is what we've already tried but the handbrake remains poor. After adjustment as you describe, the handbrake does improve but not significantly.
Hence the comment on the cable as that is now an advisory on my car but up till now has been judged ok, so I was wondering if there was a definitive reason for the handbrake being poor - it would be nice if there was an easy fix...!!
For some reason, some 406's seem to have poor handbrake, it's common enough to show up as a regular flaw in the car, but no one seems to actually know why, and some cars are either unaffected by it or their drivers literally don't notice that the handbrake is poor but I cannot believe that many otherwise good drivers could be misjudging their handbrakes - so there must be some hardware issue that can be fixed - either through wear of a component or a component which is not doing it's job properly or has been misfitted but not identified.

I would be interested to know how old your 406 is and if you have ever had handbrake issues which have then been resolved by changing some component?

Best wishes
John

·
Registered
44 Posts
handbrake

does your car have rear disks with handbrake drums inside like I mentioned or just drum brakes (no discs) on the rear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

It has the rear discs with drums inside for the handbrake. We've had the drums apart and cleaned down and new pins put into place and now fastened into place as the backplates are showing their age, but no joy, sometimes it improves and then it gets worse again, just trying to decide if it's worth changing the cables and the backplates at the same time while everything is apart....kill or cure as it were!

Best wishes
John

·
Registered
44 Posts
handbrakes on Peugeot with drum brakes operating within brake disc hubs

These brakes work perfectly - its usually the 'Nerk' or Age factor that comes into play and I've been/seen both many will say . Hope the following points
help

1) Its a static brake unit unlike most handbrakes -which use the same brake pads and shoes to stop the car (dynamic brakes). For these reason the shoes rarely get warm or worn- i sold my 150k car with its originals on (but they may have been delaminating a little. I've found the shoes get glazed because of this so scuff them and also the inside of the hub (the drum) with say 120 or 180 emery (ear a mask). I've seen illogicals - the latest almost virgin car has a small step or ridge in the inside of one drum and so I smoothed this out by hand - emergy again, and the shoes definitely bedded in again afterwards (3000 miles ago and still good)
2) the handbrake system is a typical central pull wire from the handbrake going to a cradle junction with a cross wire (junction connecting a wire going across to each side of the car to the respective wheels. The adjustment points (for may cars ) are the handbrake, central pull wire - shortly after the handbrake - and the adjustment of an individual brake drum back stop on each wheel (as per my earlier note)

In my experience some nerk own the car before you, finds the handbrake is poor and adjusts it using the central pull line adjuster. This means the shoes are held close to the hubs not by the back stop but by the cable. As the car goes along the road and bump the geometry of the suspension changes - which demands slack in the handbrake cable but thanks to the nerk there is none- the shoes touch the hubs on every bump, wear and shortly the handbrake is poor again. The moral of this is, before you adjust back stops for the first time - back off the central adjuster- adjust the back stops and then take up some(not all) slack in the central line.

I've now owned 406 estates for 5 years, live on a slopping drive, have never changed the handbrake shoes - but have done the adjustments (once) on each car. I've also always checked cables are not seized (another cause of early wear but never found this)
Hope this helps

It has the rear discs with drums inside for the handbrake. We've had the drums apart and cleaned down and new pins put into place and now fastened into place as the backplates are showing their age, but no joy, sometimes it improves and then it gets worse again, just trying to decide if it's worth changing the cables and the backplates at the same time while everything is apart....kill or cure as it were!

Best wishes
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts