Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 307 '03 1.6 Petrol has been making noises when cold, and after taking it to my local dealership, I was informed that the idle and tensioner pulleys for the auxiliary belt need to be changed.

The quote was €210 (roughly 185 GBP) which seems a bit steep. Can anyone tell me how much this normally costs and if the auxiliary belt should snap or come off (belt's new btw), would that cause any damage (with the exception of immobilizing the vehicle)?

I ask because I'm planning to service the car next month (maybe 6 weeks) and would prefer to have the work done then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
What sort of noise? A rattle is often the tensioner itself vibrating. These new freewheeling alternator pulleys can also rattle. Had that on my 307.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What sort of noise? A rattle is often the tensioner itself vibrating. These new freewheeling alternator pulleys can also rattle. Had that on my 307.
It's definitely like a rattle -- initially I thought it was the catalytic heat shield rattling (done that in the past), but was told at the dealership that it was the three pulleys on the auxiliary belt that need changing.

(BTW, sorry for the delay in answering... it's been hectic at work!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get a pvc tube (or similar high tech eq), one end at your ear and with the other end probe and listen which pulley makes the noise.
Then change that one.
The pulleys are about £20-30, but if the noise is rattling as you said I would bet the crankshaft pulley is the culprit (about £50).
Work should not cost more than £40 at any independent shop because is fairly easy and straightforward 30 min for an amateur like me parked by a kerb.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the crankshaft pulley also have the timing belt?
I ask this because this was changed along with the timing belt and tensioner last year (or around 2,000 miles ago).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does the crankshaft pulley also have the timing belt?
I ask this because this was changed along with the timing belt and tensioner last year (or around 2,000 miles ago).
Timing belt goes on crankshaft sprocket behind the pulley.
Crankshaft pulley is the biggest pulley on auxillary belt

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Have you tried to check the play in the tensioners by hand by rocking them? I know access is tight but worth a try. A service is different to rectification and both jobs would probably be priced separately I would have thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried to check the play in the tensioners by hand by rocking them? I know access is tight but worth a try. A service is different to rectification and both jobs would probably be priced separately I would have thought.
I'll have to wait till the weekend and pass by a friends house with a garage to work in -- too much work at the office for now and unfortunately no garage! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a follow up....

Decided to take the car to a friend who has a local garage and had the A/C bearing changed which was the culprit. The total bill was significantly cheaper than having the local dealership change out all the tensioners and pulleys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts