Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope you fellas can diagnose this. It started yesterday.

At idle there's a squealing noise. It sounds more metallic than a slipping belt so I'm starting to think its the drivebelt tension pulley, particularly as the sound is not a million miles away from the same problem on previous 306s, where I replaced the tensioner (IIRC it was about £16 from Peugeot)

What I find odd is that anything over tickover and the sound disappears, I don't recall that happening on the 306.

Anyway, I've noticed a lot of movement between the two parts arrowed below at idle, when revved its completely still.

I gave it a good blast with WD40 and slipped some oil in, hoping it was just dirt or grit between two metal pieces causing the squeal, it seemed to help a little but it comes back.

I'm guessing its the bearings of the pulley where I've stuck the green arrow?

I've made a recording of the sound and stuck it on Youtube. You should hear it a few seconds in then disappear when I rev it.

Assuming you do say its the tensioner, how much and how hard to fit? On the 306 I recall taking the front offside wheel off and getting to it that way?

Cheers all.

J

·
0 Posts
I've got a very similar squeal/rattle, although is a faster rattle, on my 407 in the last week or so... ever since the air con was regased... whether that has anything to do with it, who knows. I have traced mine to the timing belt or auxiliary belt area, similar to you... but am at a loss how to go any further.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Me three... my 307 has started to squeal on idle and goes away when revving.

In my case I thought it was related to oil leaking from the dipstick tube owing to a loose rubber on the dipstick itself, but after getting the engine bay steam cleaned it actually became more pronounced.

Like jmkent, it's also coming from the auxiliary belt area but am concerned it could be a pulley.

I'll have to have a closer look to see if there's any movement like Gibbo's car, otherwise will ask my mechanic to have a look see!

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Apologies, I meant aux drivebelt - not cambelt! :eek:

Been looking in the Haynes manual, it explains how to slacken off the tensioner to take off the drivebelt, but nothing about removing the tensioner pulley at all. I think its called the IDLE PULLEY.

I'm willing to bet that its the bearings in the wheel. Like I said, two of my old 306s had the same problem. When you compared the old wheel to the new there was a bit of side-to-side play in it and lots of squeaking when spun.

The good news is that Haynes say the wheel arch lining is fairly easy to come out and is a "three spanner" job to remove and replace the belt.

I'll try and get a price from Peugeot tomorrow, they're usually quite good at printing out disassembly and reassembly instructions too.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the drive to work was much quieter this morning. Still a bit of squeal when I started it though.

Looking on Ebay at replacement pulleys it doesn't look anything like the old 306 version so I'm wondering if it just needs properly greasing.

However a google tells of horror stories of it breaking off and snapping the belt and busting the alternator or flying up through the cambelt casing and smashing that in so it might be safer to completely replace?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Hey gibbo, as you noticed i changed the title as per your request.

anyways...ive been told that when you get a squeel in that area it could be:

- the belt slipping and due renewal (you have already stated it doesnt sound like it). at a few quid for a new one, can hardly complain.

- the alternator...a few things can go wrong...my 307 when i had it, did get this...very very rarely on a cold morning i would get what they call alternator surge and it will squeel like a pig! you can pick up a genuine alternator for cheap from .: Starter Motor & Alternator Company - Car Parts :. i got mine from there, dealer is reported to want £350 for new, i got mine for £114. fitted for £30 by a garage near me.

anyways a few ideas to help. hope you get this sorted. :thumb:

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just noticed that if I give it some high revs and let the clutch out fast I am getting belt squeal.

AFAIK its never been changed so I might give that a try first and have a good look at the pulley when the belt is off.

A new belt from Euro is £16 (air con HDI 90). Non air con is only £8. What a bummer.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
if your letting the clutch out fast...couldnt that be the clutch squeeking and not the belt??

but as for the price you can hardly complain about the price of a new belt

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More updates. Plenty more squeal almost all the time now, plus a burning plastic smell. Had a look under the bonnet and these appear new:

Plastic on the end of the alternator pulley is rough:

and what looks like "sprayed plastic" on this pipe:

Squeal subsided when I gave the alternator pulley a squirt with WD.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there's a freewheel clutch inside the alternator pulley. It's likely expiring...
Spot on sir. Took the car down to my local mechanic and we took off the alternator and this is what's happened. The plastic inner bit of that pulley has started to melt and that's what got sprayed around! :eek:

Anyway, he's going to source me a replacement tomorrow and we should be sorted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope you fellas can diagnose this. It started yesterday.

At idle there's a squealing noise. It sounds more metallic than a slipping belt so I'm starting to think its the drivebelt tension pulley, particularly as the sound is not a million miles away from the same problem on previous 306s, where I replaced the tensioner (IIRC it was about £16 from Peugeot)

What I find odd is that anything over tickover and the sound disappears, I don't recall that happening on the 306.

Anyway, I've noticed a lot of movement between the two parts arrowed below at idle, when revved its completely still.

I gave it a good blast with WD40 and slipped some oil in, hoping it was just dirt or grit between two metal pieces causing the squeal, it seemed to help a little but it comes back.

I'm guessing its the bearings of the pulley where I've stuck the green arrow?

I've made a recording of the sound and stuck it on Youtube. You should hear it a few seconds in then disappear when I rev it.Youtube

Assuming you do say its the tensioner, how much and how hard to fit? On the 306 I recall taking the front offside wheel off and getting to it that way?

Cheers all.
Hi i also had the same problem, thought it was the tensioner, but when i removed the belt it felt fine i did notice the alternator pulley was loose and that was where the squeeling came from. Apparently there is a bearing/clutch inside the pulley?? this seems to have broken.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guys,

I've got the same issue with my 307 HDI. At the moment I do not have squealing but when cold the aux tensioner is bouncing around all over the place and making a noise. I've had the belt off and the tensioner seems fine so points to the alternator clutch pulley.

Can these alternator pulleys be changed DIY? Do you need any special tools?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Like any belt pulley system it has to remain dry.

I see oil over the belt at the moment and that will
(A) Cause slipping and squealing.
(B) Degrade the belt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right, changed the pulley today. It was a complete bastard and wouldn't unscrew.:mad: Resorted to grinding the fecker off in the end :eek: but now it's replaced the noise has gone.

Happy days! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Guys,

I've got the same issue with my 307 HDI. At the moment I do not have squealing but when cold the aux tensioner is bouncing around all over the place and making a noise. I've had the belt off and the tensioner seems fine so points to the alternator clutch pulley.

Can these alternator pulleys be changed DIY? Do you need any special tools?
Hi - does anybody know what the required tool is? Want to replace my alternator pulley but it needs something like this:

3404 Alternator Clutch Pulley Tool T50 Star 1/2"D | eBay

as per this video:

Do we know what size is required?

Cheers!!:thumb:

·
Registered
556 Posts
This may or may not be of interest but i had a307 a while ago and had similar the jockey pulley was splitting by the engine part of the arm and that stupid bolt that holds the alternator on and a pulley snapped in half, not sure if that is a coincidence? Anyway have a look at the pulley where the arm meets the engine it is spring loaded and can start to separate slightly imagine it is pressed together and it bouncing up and down all the time and if it is separating it could skew the belt a bit.

It may not be that, maybe the alternator but if you take the belt off you'll probably pinpoint it.
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts