Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So my Alt belt went back in November and I had it changed. 1 and a half moths later it went again. I took it too the garage and they said it was my auto tensioner. I had this changed, now two days later I can see that the belt has moved over 1 tooth on what I think is the Crank Pulley. The Garage say that they will also have to change this, but I am sceptical. I don't know if they put it on right to begin with as they have a bit of a rep as con artists. The Pulleys all seem to line up OK. Is there anything else that might be causing this? It doesn't look like the crank pulley is knackered as it spins concentric.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
AFAIK the Aux belt isn't timed so I can't see how you can tell that it has moved a tooth.

From what you have said about the garage I'm surprised you took it there in the first place. Surely a place with a known bad reputation would be the last place you would take it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think that he means the belt has shifted across the pulley's by one rib/groove rather than one tooth
I changed a belt on a 307 hdi 2.0 and sent the owner away with the old belt and a piece of paper with the belt length and part No,
The factors gave him a belt that was the correct length, I fitted it and later that month it shredded its self, came to do it again and realised it had the wrong No of ribs (1 too many), part No was correct except for the one of the prefix letters !!
Moral - get the parts yourself don't rely on someone else

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
the tensioner normally causes bounching if its knackered

take the belt off and look at the bottom pulley and the clutch pulley. could be someones fitted an incorrect alternetor clutch they are different

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hey all. So my Alt belt went back in November and I had it changed. 1 and a half moths later it went again. I took it too the garage and they said it was my auto tensioner. I had this changed, now two days later I can see that the belt has moved over 1 tooth on what I think is the Crank Pulley. The Garage say that they will also have to change this, but I am sceptical. I don't know if they put it on right to begin with as they have a bit of a rep as con artists.
Maybe they didn't put the tensioner on correctly. Most unlikely the crankshaft pulley needs replacing unless you are getting terrible vibration at tickover.
I think you should take it to a reputable garage, your post does beg the question; why did you go to that particular garage in the first place?

Roger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts