Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Ordered the diagnostic cables and diagbox software...

While waiting it came to thought that i might be able to help out mominlaw with a cosmetic issue

Her 107 do have automatic lights at front as its required by law... but that does not include the rear lights.

And for some reason she cant let go that its not required. Its not against the law to have them on all day, so i thought that i must be possible to have both front and rear automatic

Anyone that know or have tried it?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
2 Different things the auto front lights are daytime running lights.

You also get auto lights on peugeots that come on automatically when dark.

Both work in different ways.

I agree with you though its silly having front lights on but not rear they may as well just fit everything with auto lights when engine is running :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Rear lights are not required for day time running lights requirements.

The reason some cars also illuminate the rear lamps is due to there simplified lighting circuit design & to reduce manufacturing cost.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes that is correct but it could also be argued that daytime running lights are not required either :)

I agree with the OP if you have the front lit you may as well have the rear lit too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as i wrote myself rear are not required during the day...

is it not a thing you just program with Diagbox software?

and i'm talking about the 107 specific... 4 year old

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
To be honest NONE are required during the day its the most pointless modern day addition to cars in recent years and should be assigned to the same dustbin as the dim dip system from years ago :)

No you cant do what you want with diagbox but you will be able to turn the system off completely.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
To be fair, the dim - dip system did stop people driving around just on side lights.

As for the 107 day time running lights, I would guess there just wired to an ignition / engine running controlled relay.

Do they stay on with the dipped headlamps or do they go off?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
they go off, against the law to drive with them on at same time as main lights is on

EDIT.... some above have suggested that DRL is not required at all, well it might be true in the UK but in DK they are. Its just the mominlaw that goes on bla bla bla.. Told her many times that rear lights have never been required for DRL, but then she goes but almost everyone have them on since it was required for the fronts, told her it was because it was chaep and simple with a few relays, but still not required.... even after a long and technical explanation she still moans about the rears are not on....

and in these modern days i would assume that you just program the BSI to turn the fronts on but not the rears, would then seem very simple to program it to turn rears on also

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
A lot of people in the UK seem to think that the rear lights also illuminate with DRL's. I've lost count of the number of cars on the motorway with no rear lights in the dark. They get in the car, see the front (DRL's) come on and think they are ok and off they go with no rear lights illuminated.

Those people your mother in law says are driving with both front and rear lights on have probably just switched their lights on and never turned them off. The system turns off all the lights when you turn off the ignition and turns them back on next time the engine starts. I do this all the time when starting work early. Leave the house at 5am with lights on, get to work and turn off the ignition which switches off the lights, get back in the car when going home and drive home with dipped headlights and obviously rear lights on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehe

what mominlaw wants are that the rears turn on with the DRL....

she is very old fashioned so she wants things like in the old days :p

if you ask be i would have reached for an iron bar and dragged her behind a shed long time ago... :eek:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think DRL's are a brilliant idea.

With all the f***wits on the road these days being distracted by the 5 gadgets they are using / wearing, any extra visibility is a bonus in my opinion.

The amount of times I have seen people driving at night without lights on, at least if they have DRL's you can see them, and actively avoid them!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree too

and oncoming traffic with the sun low on the sky and blinding you...

but ohh well... if the rears cant be programmed to run then she will have to live with it... but i bet the BSI could be told to do it... why not? its controlling everything else

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You cannot programme it on new cars. My old 2004 307 had DRL available but all that did was switch the dipped headlights and rear lights on without turning on the dashboard illumination as soon as the engine was running. There was no option to have just the fronts or front and rear. The only programming options are DRL on or off. If your mother in law insists that she has both front and rear lights on then the only option is to buy an old car.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i agree too

and oncoming traffic with the sun low on the sky and blinding you...

but ohh well... if the rears cant be programmed to run then she will have to live with it... but i bet the BSI could be told to do it... why not? its controlling everything else
I see your point regarding the BSI being able to do it. And I believe that the BSI could definitely turn the rear lights on with the front.

The issue you have, is that the Planet / Diagbox software only allows you to make specific changes to the BSI. And that isn't one of the changes you can make.

It could be done using some wire, some relays and some one-way diodes but its a lot of messing around.

My rear lights are full LED, and they use the tiniest little wire to turn them on. Would be very easy I imagine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got the cables this morning and look at the china video on how to install things

and a uk friend some time ago sent me a laptop with a 32 bit win7 rescue cd..

and to luck the install video is done on a 32 bit win 7 pc :-D

going to be fun to poke arround :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Doesn't the 107 run a non multiplexed Japanese / Toyota designed electrical system?

Turn the ignition key fully OFF, now press the brake pedal down, if the brake lights come on then it's Japanese electrics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts