Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/2zg4BNNVDmo

I hadn't seen this particular 3008 demo before (see link above).

As reassuring as the Automatic Emergency Braking system feature is on our 3008's, does anyone have any direct experience of it actually working? I'm not going to test it of course (!), but it makes you wonder if anyone has had it intervene to help them to stop hitting into something out on the road.

Owners elsewhere in Europe report that the brakes sometimes make a binding noise, which is possibly them priming in case they need to apply. I haven't had that, but I have had the red Brake! appear in the instrument panel, once when a car turned off and I was gaining quite quickly on it.

The AEB is fitted as standard to all 3008 models, utilising the top windscreen camera. I know certainly when I am using the Adaptive Cruise with Stop feature, fitted on my GT, it will certainly apply the brakes, but this is pretty calmly done. I've yet (fortunately) to have the AEB function activate!

·
Registered
226 Posts
As reassuring as the Automatic Emergency Braking system feature is on our 3008's, does anyone have any direct experience of it actually working?
Funny you should post this because only 1/2 hour ago I was approaching a light controlled pedestrian crossing, it was on green for me but a pedestrian decided that there was enough space for him to cross even though the 'green man' wasn't lit. My 3008 'gonged' twice and a message came up 'Brake', I was slowing down anyway so it didn't automatically brake as the pedestrian was out of the way fairly quick. Nice to know it would have worked though. There are 3 setting for the system 'Near Normal Far' (something like that anyway) I have mine set to 'Far' at the moment to give maximum notice but some other members a while ago said they had it on 'Near', but I am happy with 'Far'.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch - what an absolute PR disaster!

Tell - Good to know the car is alive all the time, monitoring driving situations, although of course as you say its no substitute for our own driver awareness.

This recent slalom test of the 3008 is also quite reassuring:

https://youtu.be/fR1yxzizNBE

Reactions: Tell

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have had the brake message come up in red. Once I was turning left into a road with a lane divider island with one of those light up pillar things, car obviously thought i was heading at it too much as I was turning. It didn't actually brake though as it never needed to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't trust a volvo though..
That's kind of funny, but to be fair, the car that hit the guys did not actually have the Pedestrian Detection functionality even if the guys conducting the test thought so!

The car that hits the truck did so because of a battery failure according to Volvo, but that seems like a lame excuse.

Volvo claimed that the pre-production test car "suffered as the result of a human error in preparation" and that the car's battery was at fault, adding that "had a human been driving, he or she would have noticed the system was not operating correctly."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having driven my 3008 a bit more now, I've noticed a few 'Brake' situations (where the message Brake appears in the drivers instrument panel) in the car, one of which didn't seem to correspond with any other vehicles/objects around me! If you have to squeeze through a gap, I've sometimes seen it.

Still today, I did experience what happens as it goes one step further.

A car was turning right and as I approached it, I got the Brake warning and then the brakes must have primed in readiness, as I also got the orange warning light in the instrument panel (that you normally get if you unclip your seatbelt). I think if I hadn't intervened, then the car was ready to! I did feel the brakes sort of apply, before I used them.

The Youtube videos do seem to show that the Peugeot 3008 AEB system intervenes quite late, but very severely, which I guess is by design and still very clever, but of course no substitute for driver awareness and control.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a white car.. the camera and everything gets cleaned on a regular basis!

The only issue is in a real down pour of water.. the camera will suffer from the visual interference the same as the driver - but with radar then that probably a better bet of not being influenced by rain.

Now the radar gets spooked by leaves blowing about instead..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a white car.. the camera and everything gets cleaned on a regular basis!

The only issue is in a real down pour of water.. the camera will suffer from the visual interference the same as the driver - but with radar then that probably a better bet of not being influenced by rain.

Now the radar gets spooked by leaves blowing about instead..
I would imagine autumn is going to be a bit dicey.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something else I've noticed, certainly on the other PSA group cars and with a lot of other car manufacturers, is that many cars fitted with AEB systems are still only fitted with AEB for city braking (ie. useful for travelling at low city speeds).

The new 3008 of course benefits from AEB for situations covering speeds from 4mph upwards. The official media launch blurb confirmed:

Active Safety Brake operates if:
- Vehicle speed is between 5 kph and 140 kph when a moving vehicle is detected;
- Vehicle speed does not exceed 80 kph when a stationary vehicle is detected;
- Vehicle speed must not exceed 60 kph when a pedestrian is detected

Yet another extremely useful feature that is worth considering, when comparing the new 3008 to other vehicles.

Reactions: Blaugrana314

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had my first experience of the automatic emergency braking system at the weekend. I was following a car on a slip road, approaching a roundabout at about 20mph expecting it to merge with the traffic, but the driver decided to stop. I applied my brakes giving myself plenty of time to stop without upsetting my wife and throwing loose items on the rear seat to the floor when the AEB kicked in and the 3008 came to an abrupt standstill. It is a good job there wasn’t a car following close behind me because I’m sure the driver’s reactions wouldn’t have matched those of the 3008.

Reactions: Jill

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris, it's reassuring to know it works well. So did the AEB kick in, even though you were already applying the brakes? I did wonder what would happen if you didn't brake hard enough, whether it would still intervene?

Over on the French forums, owners are now taking delivery of the new 5008, which is essentially the same as the 3008. One owner has recently 'tried' AEB and said much the same:

Test du système Active safety break - Peugeot 5008 ( P87 2016/-- ) - FORUM Forum-Peugeot

Their comment was : hope the car following also has AEB, as it brakes extremely hard and you probably run the risk of them hitting you!

The few videos there are, do show it reacts quite late.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I wouldn’t like to test AEB without my foot on the brake in readiness Brett, but it does seem to work. In my earlier post I was already braking when AEB took over and it brought the car to a standstill. Had I been allowed to continue my braking I would have stopped in plenty of time but from memory the car in front was beginning to move forward anyway so it was unnecessary to completely stop.

On one occasion in France and also on my way home from Somerset, I left the cruise control on at a particular speed and was guided by the car in front, slowing down and speeding up as necessary without touching the controls. I felt completely safe and when the car in front stopped the 3008 also gently stopped and not with the force of my AEB experience.

I saw the new 5008 driving through my local town in France a couple of months ago and had to look twice because I thought I was looking at a 3008 that didn’t seem quite right.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the information, very reassuring that. Another plus point for our 3008.

When the Active cruise with stop is working, that quite gracefully slows and stops behind cars, even automatically applying the handbrake if you stop for more than a few seconds.

I'll be sure to keep a watch for the cars reactions in the AEB situation though, as I'm sure it could take you by surprise.

I don't think the hazard lights come on, do they, when the AEB activates? I think you possibly see the orange AEB light on the instrument panel?

When you brake really hard when driving along, the hazards will come on and flash automatically. When you accelerate away, they stop flashing, which is yet another useful safety feature.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Of course, AEB stands for Autonomous Emergency Braking and I think the word Emergency needs to be emphasised - the system is waiting for the driver to react and when there is no human reaction it then needs to apply the brakes heavily in order to avoid the otherwise inevitable result. I wonder if owners of the more reactive systems find that it intervenes too often?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, just bought a 3008 Active model second hand from December 2016, the car is fitted with speed recognition camra but doesn't seem to have the AEB as it does not show up in car settings, do you know if this could be added via software only or is it missing the radar on the bumper itself?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had an incident on the A1 a couple of months ago. Saw this guy in a BMW coming down the slip road so pulled over to the outside lane. Not enough for this guy he came all the way across. I braked and the AEB kicked in, my bet is the AEB slowed me faster than I was braking. Well impressed, it works

Reactions: Jill

·
Registered
1 Posts
https://youtu.be/2zg4BNNVDmo

I hadn't seen this particular 3008 demo before (see link above).

As reassuring as the Automatic Emergency Braking system feature is on our 3008's, does anyone have any direct experience of it actually working? I'm not going to test it of course (!), but it makes you wonder if anyone has had it intervene to help them to stop hitting into something out on the road.

Owners elsewhere in Europe report that the brakes sometimes make a binding noise, which is possibly them priming in case they need to apply. I haven't had that, but I have had the red Brake! appear in the instrument panel, once when a car turned off and I was gaining quite quickly on it.

The AEB is fitted as standard to all 3008 models, utilising the top windscreen camera. I know certainly when I am using the Adaptive Cruise with Stop feature, fitted on my GT, it will certainly apply the brakes, but this is pretty calmly done. I've yet (fortunately) to have the AEB function activate!
i have had it happen once ...i was queuing for a car park (in my lovely new 3008 GT line) so not going any speed and it decided to cut in ..which surprised me and my son as the car performed an emergency brake ..it was like something from an 80s film i thought it was going to start talking next..however i feel this seems to be a fault as i mentioned before i was crawling in a queue! my car seems to be the only one that repeatedly has an anti braking system fault and is going into the service shop again for the 3rd time since buying from new...15 months ag. apparently no one else has had this problem at our local Peugeot dealership!!!!?? i also have the ESP/ASR FAULT flash up and the car wouldn't even start this morning so not a happy bunny!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.